jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should a National Guard recruiter be allowed to hand out this t-shirt to student

1. kerbev profile image52
    kerbevposted 3 years ago

Should a National Guard recruiter be allowed to hand out this t-shirt to students in public schools?

Recently there was a heated debate among parents, students and a local school district, when the school stopped a National Guard recruiter from passing out the shirts saying they were inappropriate.  Students wearing them had to change.  (This was in Ravena, NY).  The reason for concern stated was the gun.

Do you think the shirt is inappropriate?  Should the kids have had to change their shirts?  Should the recruiter have been stopped?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11836334_f260.jpg

2. DealForALiving profile image95
    DealForALivingposted 3 years ago

I don't see what the big issue is. In a lot of communities, the national guard would be a lot better future than what is regularly available on the streets. Let's stop pretending that there aren't guns out there, especially when it's so easy to get your hands on them.

3. littlething profile image88
    littlethingposted 3 years ago

I really don't see an issue with this. If anything else, this shirt could be considered patriotic. The gun is not even a main part of the image. I find the idea of schools trying to prevent students from ever seeing/hearing/reading about guns is ridiculous. The school was in the wrong here.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I honestly didn't even notice there was a gun until it was pointed out. Though it seems like a simple solution. Just create a version of the shirt without a gun. It's easy to honor the flag and the troops without it.

5. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

If they are willing to let a national guard recruiter pass out shirts, they should not be bothered by what is on the shirt. Soldiers use guns. What else would the shirt have on it?

working