jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

What is your favorite architectural style of home?

1. Daniella Lopez profile image93
    Daniella Lopezposted 3 years ago

What is your favorite architectural style of home?

Do you prefer colonial, modern, Tudor, ranch, or any number of the other styles?

2. danicole profile image80
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

I like a combination of Stick Style, Queen Anne Style and Victorian Style.

Daniella Lopezposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I will have to research more into Queen Anne style. I've heard of it, but I'm not certain if I've ever actually seen one.

3. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 3 years ago

Moving to Paradise from a Northeastern State , where colonial homes were our choice, we chose to build a ranch due to the intense heat factor.
    The openness  of the way rooms flow into each other and the brightness creates  a sense of powerful good " feng shui " . Also it is very easy to maintain/entertain and of course a pool is a necessity , which is where I am presently sitting, nice night swim some Chamomile Tea, and I'll say good-night...

That sounds divine!

4. RTalloni profile image86
    RTalloniposted 3 years ago

Love American craftsman style homes because they remind me of painted Victorians, yet they aren't as complicated.

I agree. Victorians are lovely, but they tend to be far too complex for my tastes.

5. Availiasvision profile image82
    Availiasvisionposted 3 years ago

I love the Tiny House movement of creating smaller homes that look like little cabins.  They are cheap and irresistibly cute.  They are also eco-friendly and cut your energy costs.

I also love Mediterranean style homes because of their light colors, courtyards, and the way they blend into a hillside.

I LOVE tiny houses!!!

6. Old-Empresario profile image83
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

I like the Tudor revival style of the 1920s. I also like Colonial "Federalist" style. My least favorites are the non-definable "McHouse" and "McMansion" styles that began in the 1980s and have now taken over the outskirt subdivisions of major cities. I had to live in two of them before I decided I hated giant bathrooms with Jacuzzi tubs. Classic bathrooms were merely utility spaces set aside for discreetly doing your business, washing up and bathing. Dressing and putting on makeup were done at a vanity in the large bedroom. Today the master bathrooms (ridiculous name) are treated like the most important room in the house; fit for the "emperor" to receive and entertain guests. It's a little strange when you think about it.

7. Bercton profile image61
    Berctonposted 3 years ago

I love the colonial style because of the history and story that it represent

8. WheelerWife profile image89
    WheelerWifeposted 3 years ago

Love craftsman style! With the wood beams and natural features - so rich and cozy.

9. Twilight Lawns profile image84
    Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years ago

Victorian.  South London, Victorian.
    I live in a Victorian house, built at the turn of the twentieth century.
    The old lady who sold it to me had lived there since being born there, as her father had bought it when it was first built.  Hence, I am the second owner, and as she only painted where, and when, things became shabby, and didn't make any "improvements" apart from a little bomb damage  during World War II, the structure and mouldings and woodwork et cetera are all virtually intact; as when  the builder handed it over.

working