jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What is the Difference Between Baffle, Bewilder and Perplex?

1. To Learn English profile image60
    To Learn Englishposted 3 years ago

What is the Difference Between Baffle, Bewilder and Perplex?

I know all these three words have similar meanings, but what is the exact difference between Baffle, Bewilder and Perplex? I searched for the meanings of these words. According to Google, Baffle means "totally bewilder or perplex", Bewilder means "cause (someone) to become perplexed or confused", and perplex means "make someone feel completely baffled". In short, baffle means perplex and perplex means baffle. How am I supposed to understand the meaning of any of these three words!? If they all are pointing to each other for their meanings. Could you explain?

2. Venkatachari M profile image41
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 years ago

Baffle refers to "confuse" with indecisiveness. It is a state of lack of clear knowledge and confusion. You are baffled means that you are confused. So, "Baffled" more often means to 'confusing a person so as to prevent him from doing something'

Bewilder refers to getting confused with astonishment and fear. Here there is some fear or nervousness.

"Perplexed" refers to a state of being in worry with utter confusion as to what to do in a circumstance requiring quick action.

To Learn Englishposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! Your answer is very helpful.

3. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

Baffled equals puzzled, astonished and amazed.
    Bewildered equals confusion, disorientation.
    Perplex is very much like baffled, and it really is a matter of choice, place, frequency of use and as such the need for substitution. Some Spanish words are perfectly good, but while used in South America, are not used in Spain and vice versa.
    I gave a friend of mine my opinion of the word ‘fear.’ In relation to God, this person felt that it was all about awe and reverence. I differed and put the question onto Hub Pages. Since then, someone else did, and we’ve had many answers, most seeing it my way.
    I tell this story not to say that I am right. Some biblical scriptures speak of fear in a reverential tone. It is just that I know that in 21st Century life, the word ‘fear’ is mostly associated with the negative, or things that make us uncomfortable. ‘Love’ is generally used for God, rather than ‘fear.’ So the point here is that words become more meaningful, according to the context in which they are used, as well as the time and place, etc.
    I trust that you are not too ‘puzzled’ by my answer. If I was rude as well, then to imply stunned, the word ‘baffled’ would have been better, and really confused would have been ‘bewildered’ or even ‘staggered.’  Yet they are all interchangeable. Confused? He he 

To Learn Englishposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I can understand. Meaning of words can change according to the context in which they are used. I think conversation is very important to learn a language. Thanks for your answer!

working