jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the difference between Will and Would?

1. mymagicview profile image73
    mymagicviewposted 5 years ago

What is the difference between Will and Would?

Ok, I am not very good in English and I always get confused in between will and would. I think would is about past, but again I find it sometimes used in future imagination. I guess would also comes while we want to show respect. Will is about something firm.. I do not have clear idea! It's confusing to me. Will you help me? (or Would you help me?) See, now again I am confused! What is the difference between Will and Would?

2. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 5 years ago

Will means something you fully intend to do, such as:

I will mow the lawn on Saturday.
    I will go to the grocery store tomorrow.

Would means something you might do, or would like to do, but it is not necessarily an action that will be carried out.  For instance you might say:

I would like to go to Hawaii this summer, but I cannot afford to do that.
    If I were you I would go to the movies, but that is up to you.

Thus, would here implies something you might want to do, or advice you might give to another person, but it is not necessarily an action you will carry out yourself.

3. toomuchmint profile image72
    toomuchmintposted 5 years ago

Can I help you?  Yes I can!

'Will' is used for future tense.
         - I will go to the store tomorrow.
         - I will eat breakfast at 5 am.

'Would' is for imaginary situations in the present or future
         - I would go to the store right now, but I'm broke.
         - I would eat breakfast at 5 am tomorrow, but I'm sleeping in.

In the States, 'Would' works a polite form for a request; and it's interchangeable with 'Will'.  Will you help me? and Would you help me?  have the exact same meaning, but the second is more socially appropriate.

The response can have conditions, but there's a difference in nuance.  Both responses below ask for money, but the first is direct and the second is indirect.
         - I will help you *if* you pay me $50.
         - I would help you, *but* I can only do it if you pay me 50 dollars.

I hope this helps.

4. SteveWaugh1965 profile image59
    SteveWaugh1965posted 5 years ago

"will" is future tense .... "Tomorrow I will go work"

"would" ... is typically used with the word "have". In this case it refers to something that might have occurred in the past, had another event not prevented it from happening. e..g. "I would have gone to work last week, but I was sick"

"would you help me" ... is also used to make a request.

"yes, I would very much like to go work" ... used in this context it means a desire for something to happen in the future.

I can understand why you would be confused !!!

Hope that helps clear it up for you wink

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Will is intention of a definite action.  Would, has the provision of riders neccessary before you take action - 'I will do that. - I would do that if...'

working