jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Do you think that we have free will?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image71
    alexandriaruthkposted 3 years ago

Do you think that we have free will?

Or our brain is wired to make us do stuff?

2. promisem profile image99
    promisemposted 3 years ago

I've had plenty of reason to think about that question in recent years because of some unusual experiences in life. My answer is that we have the ability to choose, but we can't choose with 100% freedom. Other factors control the outcome, such as genetics and experiences.

3. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 3 years ago

Hi there, very interesting question.

I believe we have less free will than we think. We can make our own choices however not without consequences. It always comes back in some form or other.

I am not quite sure what you mean by our brains being wired, if you mean brainwashed, I believe if we allow ourselves to be and not think for ourselves than yes. So many of us believe anything out there and this is a form of "wired brain" as you put it.

However with so much going on in the world, all the evil and destruction, I believe that this may be consequences to our actions on this earth to some form.

I believe in a higher self (The Holy Spirit) whom is controlling more than we think.

A good example of this...........when OJ Simpson was on trial for the murder and was acquitted for something I believe he did, and then laughed his way out of court. (reason for that) he could of served his time by now, but instead his laugh received him a life sentence anyway and he took a huge fall from grace.

This is just my opinion, be interesting to hear other opinions as this is a very good question that could go so many ways.
    Many blessings

alexandriaruthkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yup, one thing is about social constraints.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Ultimately the answer has to be (yes) we have free will.
    In fact we have the ability to take our own lives if we (choose)!
    Our lives are for the most part the end result of the (choices and decisions) we have made along the way. Our perceptions of circumstances impact which options we believe are the best.
    Everyone also has a "Cost VS Reward" monitor inside them as well. This determines how much time and effort we want to put into something. If we don't believe whatever it is "worth it" we won't step outside our comfort level. Life is learning and making adjustments.
    “While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the (consequences) of our actions” – Stephen R. Covey

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Love the quote pretty much sums it up.
      Thanks for posting.

2. alexandriaruthk profile image71

I like that quote, and yes  I believe we have free will.

5. profile image56
    Ian Mooneposted 3 years ago

We all have or at least did have at one point in our life 100% free will, but now most people are brainwashed and can't concentrate enough to be able to make the right logical decisions based on love..Their T.V is literally blocking their ability to concentrate, and they can't see reality as sharp as it really is..So yes we all have free will, but most people aren't using it..A good way to start tuning "back in" is to look people in their eyes when talking to them, and to always concentrate on one thing at a time, and to practice looking/seeing "without" naming what we see. :-)

Social pressures, yes I do agree.

working