If you could take someone's life and it have no consequences, would you?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Arghness profile image90
    Arghnessposted 11 years ago

If you could take someone's life and it have no consequences, would you?

Just one life, and there are no consequences.  That person just ceases to exist, and life goes on as per usual.  Would you?

2. gail641 profile image66
    gail641posted 11 years ago

No, I would never want to take the life of another, because it would still be murder. Life is a precious and I would never want to take it away from anybody. It would be evil to deny someone else life. It would be wrong to take the life of another always. It would cause guilt and remorse for having done such a harm. It would be immoral and unethical.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you are right but the stupid question says "with no consequences. Everything you mention are consequences.  Guilt, remorse, judgement ethics or good vrs evil are consequences of the action and would not exist - it is a stupid question." -

3. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

How could taking someone's life 'have no consequences?'

Lives are not lived in vacuums; even a very unsocial person affects others every day, just by being.  Extinguish that person and the ripples spread in the most unexpected ways.  Moreover, there is a very real sense in which to kill a person is to kill a whole universe--the unique universe perceived only by that person.  Dismiss the importance of that universe, and I think you are dismissing any claim you might make to being a writer, since the essence of writing is to affect other's subjective universes by touching them with the contents of our own.

So you see that I reject the possibility assumed in the question.  But perhaps you simply meant, by 'have no consequences,'  'getting away with it.'

In that case, the answer is much shorter:  no.

1. Born2care2001 profile image72
      Born2care2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great Answer Doc Snow!

4. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

I won't take another life no matter what, it is one of the most difficult things to do to another, not only would it be murder living with the guilt for the rest of my life would  ruin me.

5. Alberic O profile image56
    Alberic Oposted 11 years ago

No. The ONLY time I will take a person's life is if that person is an imminent threat and is trying to kill me or my family (ie, self defense). I don't believe in taking a life casually.

There are always consequences even if you live in a lawless environment. That person that you kill has family, friends, and/or associates. So if you just kill a person, you will have to watch your back because the victims family, friends and/or associates will try to either kill you or your loved ones.

6. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Why behave in such an immoral way?----------

7. Born2care2001 profile image72
    Born2care2001posted 11 years ago

I wanted to leave this answer by itself because it says it all for me but HUbpages would not allow it's brevity! So subtract everything before this answer as my respect for life, period.
    No!
    Peace be with you!

Above was my original answer. A few moments after I reviewed my answer I thought this:
    Perhaps I have not participated in taking a life directly and still, never would. But, have I unknowingly supported or condoned the erasure of the most precious of all gifts by acquiescing or abdicating my rights to governments, businesses or people whose desires preserve their own interests? Have I unwittingly caused the heartache of losing someone close to another human being, regardless of race ,creed, sex or national origin or otherwise through no fault of their own because I supported a faulty ideology? What about the life of an animal or other living creature. There certainly more to this question than meets the eye.

1. LauraD093 profile image71
      LauraD093posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really loved your response...ditto.

8. LauraGT profile image85
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

What's disturbing about your question is that there are so many people out there for whom the answer would be yes. Just look at the rates of violence in our country. 

There's an old saying (I believe from the Talmud): When you save a life, you save a world.  The opposite is true too: when you destroy a life, you destroy a world.  Although i would amend that to: when you destroy a life, you destroy many worlds.

I do not believe there is any circumstance in which taking someone else's life is justified. Even in self-defense or to save the life of someone else, I believe every effort should be made not to end someone else's existence.

'I do not believe there is any circumstance in which taking someone else's life is justified.' Actually I agree, but if everyone believed as we, Evil and tyrants would be ruling thewhole world not just part, but I'd be in heaven with an eternal life!

9. X-Con profile image68
    X-Conposted 11 years ago

There's always consequences. And evern if there wasn't, I wouldn't. I don't feel I have a right to. I'm not the creator of life; so I don't think I have the authority to be the exctinguisher of it.

10. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Wow, ok as usual I will give the opposite answer as everyone else. YES! An overwhelming yes! There are people in this world who do not deserve the air they breathe! Yesterday I read a story about a woman who put her infant in a plastic bag and threw her by the side of the road to die (infant froze to death). Later in the investigation they found 2 more children in bags in her trunk, all her children dead. This woman has been found sane. The justice system dropped many of her charges and she will not be facing the death penalty in exchange for admitting her wrongs. In my opinion people like this should be killed. If I personally could do it I don't feel I'd bat an eye. Simply wastes of space.
    With that said, who am I to decide who should die and who shouldn't? I can't answer that. Will I go out and become the new Dexter? No. Can I say I have never thought about it? No.

Kudos for giving an honest answer. In order to answer this question you really have to pretend to be God and if you were God it sounds like you would punish sin with death....funny so would God.

2. Born2care2001 profile image72
      Born2care2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A very honest answer!

11. profile image0
    minababeposted 11 years ago

Of course not. Even if I could technically "get away with murder" (no arrests, etc), there would always be the paranoia and terror of someone finding out. In other words, there would always be the ever-present feeling of guilt. I could never live with that kind of thing on my conscience.

12. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Very disturbing question. No matter who knows or doesn't know, God knows everything.

Ah, but to entertain the tenants of the question requires there has to be no God, or there would be consequences - nonsense isn't it?

13. flacoinohio profile image75
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

There is always a consequence to taking someone's life.  For those with a conscience they may relive that moment for the rest of their lives which is very damaging to a person.  For those that are psychopaths there is the fear of getting caught and quite possibly the need to kill others to relive their first killing experience.    My answer is no.

14. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

What sense is there to even asking a question like this? - in the realm of reality it's impossible (unless maybe you consider that if you are an atheist killing yourself doesn't have any cosequences at least to yourself except that you are dead) so you have to imagine a make believe world (la la land) for this to occur without any consequences. It's no different than an atheist believing the fantasy that when he dies there is is nothing left, no afterlife, no judgement, no consequences, it is as if he never lived. This question, just like atheism is nothing but an exercise in futility that should be left in la la land.

1. profile image54
      graceinusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

None

15. profile image54
    graceinusposted 11 years ago

What kind of a sick minded question is this?

16. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 11 years ago

The basic answer in all normal circumstances has to be 'no'. I'm sure some who say 'no' would nonetheless feel tempted in their private thoughts, particularly in the case of brutal dictators, serial killers, and people who pose a personal threat  etc. But the correct answer has to be 'no, of course not. It's immoral'.

To give the benefit of the doubt to the motivation behind the question, there are two circumstances where one might possibly say 'yes':

1) The age old hypothetical philosophical question of whether a theoretical time-traveller who went back and ended the life of Adolf Hitler before he'd actually commited a crime against humanity, would be acting reasonably. In that circumstance I would still definitely say 'no'. Quite apart from the immorality of killing someone who (at that time) had done nothing wrong, the consequences for altering subsequent history would be too great.

2) Euthanasia. I can agree with euthanasia having personal experience of the suffering which some people go through and their own desire for their life to end. So in that case I may well say 'yes' on compassionate grounds, though it would depend on the exact nature of the person's suffering, their future suffering while they live, and the genuineness of their desire to see their lives end.

17. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

Absolutely not...what would be the value or the point.  What of our own conscience to think that we have that power over another individual at our will and that we also possess such right...law or no law.  Murder is an irrational act carried out either as a result of mental dysfunction of one form or other.  Rational and well-armed people, do not go around with the desire to kill anyone. ~WB

18. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Your question shows it cannot occur. If you take there are consequences. It cannot be otherwise. A life is just an example, picking fruit, getting paid, taking a vacation are all one in the same. All manner of taking has consequences.

So I assume you mean, "consequences to me". The only way that could happen is if I had no soul. So the answer must be absolutely no, perhaps even more so because of no consequences.

19. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 11 years ago

Its a devil's action and not a  human act.  We can not harm or take life of anyone the way we want. Even if no consequences would be there, its not  an ordinary matter to  think for.

20. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

This is a rather odd question and somewhat disturbing to anyone with a conscience.
    The only people who would answer a resounding  'yes'  to this question is either a psychopath or a sociopath with not conscience at all and as we all know they do exist in this world.
    Should someone have their life taken from them? That is a matter of conjecture and great philosophical dilemma.   It is true that monsters do walk among us, but do  our earthly laws take precedent over everything else.  Is it ever "right" or "just" to take a life for a life, or any other reason?  Self defense being the exception.
    Sometimes, murdering a murder is too easy a way out for them.  Isolation and solitary confinement is far more punishing than letting them off easy by granting them death.
    I also think we all, at one point in our lives, felt it would be a much better world without one particular person in it, but there is no such thing as doing the deed and going on with life as if nothing ever happened, at least for those with a conscience.

21. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

Unless this person and the event in question was erased completely from your memory bank there would always be consequences. Guilt would rule your life and we all have our own fill of guilt at one point or another. No, I could not take a chance like this one. Of course, I never could be a hunter either as I value life too much for both animal and human.

22. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 11 years ago

If you mean could you get away with it, the answer is NO. it would not benefit society at all, if people just ran around offing anyone they didn't like. It would be anarchy, and who needs that?
    This is quite a strange question, because it doesn't take into account that there are always effects when someone dies. Life does not "go on as usual" for family members, for instance. Usually someone who dies is beloved by at least one person. You even see how families of someone who is executed suffer, and that person might have been totally repulsive to everyone else.
    So no, I would not take someone's life, and this is quite a creepy question.

23. izettl profile image88
    izettlposted 11 years ago

Not when you've been through what it takes to GIVE life...two children. It's a miracle and its a difficult process. Also I'm not overly religious, but taking a life isn't my decision. I'd like to leave that up to God. Only if it threatens myself or my family's lives, would I consider taking a life. Basically if there was no other choice.

24. AlexK2009 profile image84
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

There are always consequences and it would affect you.  Short answer: it is impossible for this situation to happen.

It would need to have very strong beneficial consequences for me to kill someone. Apart from all else it is a waste of potential.

25. profile image0
    healthylife2posted 11 years ago

Never! That reminds me of my question I asked. ".If taking the life of an innocent child would end all evil in the world would you do it?" In that question there would be no consequences and I still would not do it but the majority of the lawyers I asked said yes. Even if it would end all evil forever everyone on HP said no so they probably will say no to this one. I'm curious and will check out the responses.

26. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 11 years ago

Even if the Creator gives me the authority to kill a person then too I won't do so. But, I  would like to point out that sometimes the need of the hour takes an upper hand and the ideology of life fails especially when there is a need to defend a right person. .

27. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

Yes. There are about a dozen people I'd have to choose from though.

28. Arghness profile image90
    Arghnessposted 11 years ago

I believe that i would.  I would take the life of the man I felt had caused the most impact on myself.  It's a selfish thing, to deny another person life.  I thought of answering this as "I would take the life of someone who is pure evil, such as a terrorist" but in the question I stated that there were no consequences, which means that simply removing that person would not have any positive or negative effect.  And in fact, I would cease to remember their existence as well.  Even so, I would do so.  I would rid myself of a person that I believe should not exist in the first place.  A person who has caused pain for so many people, and have caused so much pain for myself.  I believe this person has nothing good to offer this world, and should not be allowed to live.  Who am I to decide such a thing?  I am a simple mortal, with no control over this universe.  Give a mortal the ability to control, and that power will be abused.  That is the truth in all cases, I believe.  Precious few people, if given wings, would not fly.  People if given the option of making a person disappear forever, would turn away and never think of it again.  I believe that deep down, we all have darkness, flaws that we suppress but can only be unleashed given certain circumstances.  In wars, all around the world, soldiers of all nations are taking lives of other people.  They hate it, and some of them never imagined themselves in that position.  They're in a position of power, and of danger, yet they're there, in that scenario, and that have to choose how to act.  They have taken human lives.  They have played "god" and for something's sake.  Religion, Nationality, Patriotism, Freedom, you name it.  I simply proposed something far less extensive than war.  A personal thing.  And the resounding answer is no, yet the answer to war and sending soldiers into war is yes?  Are our beliefs so strong in that our nation, or our virtue is so strong that taking lives that way is acceptable?  Necessary, even?  My proposal was one that had no consequences.  It is an impossible hypothetical for a reason.  Because every lost life has resounding consequences to everyone who loved that person, to everyone who hated that person, and to the world as a whole.  Every lost life shakes this planet with emotion.  Sadness, hatred, guilt, shame, envy, dissonance, ambivalence, you name it.  There you have it.  My answer.

29. Troy C. profile image60
    Troy C.posted 10 years ago

Wow, the Lord giveth and he takeh away. I am not God and that is that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)