jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

To all Northeasterners out there, did you think that the predictions regarding a

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

To all Northeasterners out there, did you think that the predictions regarding a so-called crippling

snowstorm/blizzard for January 27, 2015 has been merely hyperbolic?   The blizzard was not as bad as predicted by news commentators.  The snow where I was (New York City) was mild.  There were worse blizzards than this in New York City many times before & I went to work.  Those in Buffalo, NY & other northern areas in America such as Alaska are probably laughing hysterically at this, thinking us Northeasterners as crybabies, even wimps.

2. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 3 years ago

Weather forecasters are no more accurate than they ever were before  high tech , .  . One thing  is that people have seemingly forgotten how to drive  in a storm ,anymore ! Two , all storms are now classified as "potentially major storms ", and three , The major reductions , at least in the northeast , of the  budgets  for road maintenance both during storms and  of the roads quality itself !   

We ,as a society , have also become more of an '  inside society ',  not much anymore do people live ,play or work outside in  winter weather   I am always amazed at how little something so important as  the natural world of "outside ", has become the norm in our day to day lives !

3. Fred Arnold profile image60
    Fred Arnoldposted 3 years ago

The pictures that my relatives in Boston posted showed a much different experience than you, good sir.

4. profile image60
    thewoodmann30posted 3 years ago

I live in Connecticut where we can have four to five different types of weather during one snowstorm. 

As for this storm, which WFSB Channel 3 Weather 3 named "Colbie" while the Weather Channel named it "Juno," the various local and national weather services got it half right and half wrong.

The Eastern portions of Connecticut received between 25 to 36 inches of snow, which was on target.  However, in Central Connecticut where, I live, 6 to 9 inches was the norm and not the 12 to 24 inches as originally predicted. 

The Western and Northwest portions of Connecticut received about 5 to 9 inches of snow far less than the 10 to 16 inches some predicted.

Overall I was somewhat cautious about believing the various weather services concerning the blizzard because there are too many variables in New England including the effects of the Atlanta Ocean that can impact the dynamics of winter snowstorms.