jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Do you ever find it hard to read?

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

Do you ever find it hard to read?

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

I do sometimes.  Especially when I'd rather be writing.  Or conversing with other people.

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

After I write an article I find it difficult to read for days at times. I am drained. Kinda' like you saying I'd rather be writing.

3. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 3 years ago

I chose to spend my retirement years researching and writing about how I perceived Life and society ,keeping my sense of humor... separating the garbage from the meaningful  sharing information with others, kind of a tutorial learning journal ..
    One morning in Oct of 2014 I awoke to discover I had gone blind in one eye and reading/working on the computer/typing was impossible. Even walking and trying to maintain daily functions was difficult, as my balance was off and horrific headaches were inevitable. Opthalmologist/Surgeon diagnosis "Macular Edema" ( bleeding/pressure behind eye ) 4 months later and 4 painful procedures  I am able to see blobs of light only. So my research and writings have come to a standstill , and my G-S helps read my e-mail and correspondence.
    .. ( I am using a voice command program to write this ).. .
    I am not able to do research through reading. This has been the most frustrating issue, and at  this point cannot see an end.
    I guess the fact this came without warning and was beyond my control was the hardest thing to deal with...Life is full of surprises...so yes I find it very hard to read...

1. tsmog profile image82

Hugs! I am very empathetic relating to personal experiences with a quick or rapid onset of something debilitating KJ. Thank you for sharing. I give praise for the blessing of the voice enabling device to share with us & of your courage :-)

2. kj force profile image73
      kj forceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the " E & A .."...appreciated.....

4. Michael-Milec profile image58
    Michael-Milecposted 3 years ago

Sometime yes, then I fight it back, forcing myself to read. The reason, over three decades my life's journey took me the direction where i needed work / provide, long hours physically tiring  thus rereading  was only rare luxury pastime ...

1. tsmog profile image82

Thank you Michael. For work I read for information many hours of the day. Since doing that for 14+ years I really, really struggle with pleasure reading. It is just difficult for me to do. I read children's books sometimes for pleasure.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Constantly. When I was younger, I devoured books like they were going out of style, but now I find it incredibly hard to balance everything. Work, writing, house upkeep, art projects, family obligations, etc. Because of this I force myself to participate in a summer reading challenge every year (9 books in 3 months). It has really helped me get back into reading, but it hasn't made much of an impact in the off-months. I think this might just be something I struggle with until I retire.

1. tsmog profile image82

Thank you M.T. I should do something like that. I think I have been conditioned to read at my monitor or something odd like that. In my chair at ease I find it difficult to do. Your words have helped me.

6. skperdon profile image87
    skperdonposted 3 years ago

No, not at all. I spent most of my formative years with my nose in one book after another, I still enjoy a good more often than not. My favourite  motto " Books are the window to the world".

1. tsmog profile image82

I agree books are the windows and may lead toward doors. I miss reading a good book. I have not sat down and read a novel in over 10+ years. I struggle when doing it. I wonder if it is because now I ponder the writing process when I read something.

7. tlcs profile image44
    tlcsposted 3 years ago

Reading is a great passion of mine, it gives me inspiration, I love to read my local newspaper and I have books all around me!

working