jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What are the 6 ways the future with the myriad increases and advancements in au

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What are the 6 ways  the future with the myriad increases and advancements in automation,

computerization, and technologies will immensely benefit the wealthier, more educated classes in America while negatively impacting the poorer, less educated classes who will fall, even being left further behind, thus signaling their eventual socioeconomic decline into the underclass? Give detailed answers.

2. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

1. Cost - 30 years ago, one could live a productive (and inexpensive) life with a home phone, a newspaper, a library card and a phone book. Now one is obliged to own a computer, a smart phone (monthly payments), an internet connection (monthly payments), maybe a tablet (didn't exist prior to 4 years ago!), streaming services (monthly payments). I don't know if poor people are able to keep up with all of this today. But what were once intended to be tools for businesses or novelties for the affluent have become the ways in which we live our lives and gather and share information. This is really the main and only answer.
    2. Records - Ex-convicts or anyone who has been to jail can basically be marked for life with better abilities to store information and have that information accessible. They can never get a good job as a result.
    3. Unemployment - There is less need for unskilled labor as technologies increasingly replaces people.
    4. Monitoring - With security cameras literally everywhere--middle class homes, public places, traffic lights; poor people can get away with nothing with which they used to skate by. A minor traffic offense with a $200 fine might be inconvenient to some people. But to some others, it's a fine they cannot afford to pay. Fines aren't based on one's level of income, but are a fixed amount. Then there are the poor people walking to work (because they can't afford a car) who "look suspicious" walking near an affluent neighborhood. They are seen on camera and the cops are called by some busy-body who watches too much news. The kid gets harassed and...
    5. Information/education - In the SATs (I'm running low on thoughts), graphing calculators are allowed for the math portion. These can do the work for someone on many types algebra and geometry and trig problems. Poor kids can't afford them. This makes them less likely to do well and get into a good college.
    6. (I can probably split answer #1 into 2 answers to make it to 6)

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great, insightful analysis of the situation at hand.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

I actually answered this in my hub The Great Shift Toward Automation and the Future of Employment.