jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Dream Job ?

1. Phil Perez profile image81
    Phil Perezposted 2 years ago

Dream Job ?

As children, we fantasize which jobs we'd like to have when we get older. Now as adults, I'm asking you what job you'd dream of having based on your personalities and why did you pick that job?

The job you have now is a satisfactory answer, also. I just want an elaborate and detailed explanation of your dream job!

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

A great question. Interesting that you inquired in regard to personality which offers tools such as the Myers-Briggs, Realise2 / CAPP, the VIA Institute on Character, or even Gallup Organizations Strength Finder Assessment. With having a familiarity with those the dream job would be two fold. Student and Teacher.

Those would be the career path for the dream job. Of course along with that as is with any position there would be job roles such as instructor and mentor. Counseling as a job role may be considered too with reservation regarding following ethical guidelines. Essential of course is application seeking performance as a measure.

Seeking to fulfill your request being elaborate and detailed I must confess I would be in a quandary. At task would first be specifying a choice of study and then a specific within that choice. That in and of itself seems to be a challenge.

One may say I am a jack of many trades and an expert of none. A handyman of sorts would be an analogy. I know enough to change the electrical receptacle, add a circuit, can read the schematics, understand code, yet I could not design a house with engineering specifications. Best leave that to a professional.

That seems to be so with the many trades, while there are so many other interesting trades as well. Seems student is a best choice, while possibly professional learner may be appropriate. Maybe learning would be that best choice for a specific. At question as a job within a career field naturally are the rewards with their value and worth.   

At the age of retirement consideration would be somewhat different compared / contrast to the starter regarding details while seeking elaborate. However, for the starter that as a reality may be a valuable consideration for a job's career path acquiring experience, knowledge, and achievements seeking success.

Hopefully one would achieve credibility offering expertise at varying levels while seeking those. For a trade of any kind that offers possibility of consulting. One may continue the career path within retirement by some means. That again would offer reward while determination of value and worth may have a new set of criteria.

Well that about wraps it up. Hope that offers help with seeking an answer for the Dream Job.

Phil Perezposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your description sounds like a philosopher, respectively. It's a great mixture of student and teacher. Especially professional learner. Philosophers do all that!

3. Theophanes profile image97
    Theophanesposted 2 years ago

When I was four or five I declared I was going to be a paleontologist. I didn't let this idea die until my health crashed during my teen years and made going to collage a sad impossibility. I was crushed... and still would have loved to become a paleontologist! Even today! However since I have grown I also realized I would be be equally enthralled by a job in biology, genetics, or possibly another STEM field. I may have missed the train for something like that but now I am starting a small but specialized poultry farm and aspire to finish a novel and sell some of my sculptures in the winter. A science-based job would completely overwhelm my mind (in a good way!) and take over most thoughts - it'd be an all encompassing passion. My current life is less intense and quite different. It might not take up 100% of my attention all the time but I feel I may be more useful here and I am still quite content. Granted if I could tell my childhood self where I was today I'd never believe me.

That's intense in and of itself! You've accepted yourself for who you are despite everything thrown at you. That's a great personal achievement. I'm glad you're proud of yourself!

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

As a late bloomer, I've discovered too late in life what my dream job(s) would have been.
    They would have involved theater; writing; domestic travel  (too much to see of my own country before I go exploring elsewhere!); photography and carpentry.

How's that for an odd mix?  However, I was already 'past the age' (in my mid-40's) before I came to these realizations, and the entry requirements for these positions had changed radically by then, so I could no longer qualify. 
    Long gone were the days of apprenticing, or working your way up from copyboy to feature writer...and even if they were not, by the time I would have completed that process, I'd have been retirement age anyway!
    So...I reflect that I was among the last of a dying breed:  The Stay-At-Home-Mother, raising my children, and indulging in those other things only at the hobby level...and so it still is.

As long as you've appreciated that you got to experience doing those hobbies and enjoy them at the same time then there shouldn't ever be any problems with that! Passions are passions whether you're paid for them or not!

working