jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should students be compensated for getting good grades

1. Omeva profile image75
    Omevaposted 2 years ago

Should students be compensated  for getting good grades

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

On the school side: no. On the parent's side: yes. My mother would often give us a higher allowance if we managed good grades. And I think it's a powerful reinforcement tool to tell children that good/hard work will pay off. And it doesn't even need to be cash. Going and doing something fun will similarly tell the child that their education is important and will pay off. An argument could be made that good grades should be expected, rather than celebrated, but I don't see anything wrong with rewarding hard work.

3. prettynutjob30 profile image90
    prettynutjob30posted 2 years ago

We should congratulate them on their hard work, but we should also let them know that making good grades, is like being nice to people. We need to let them know, that not every good deed or good grade comes with an award.

4. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

It's not compensation, it's a reward for excellence. A monetary goal can be a valuable tool for getting children to study harder and make better grades.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

I think the parents should set up a reward system for their kids to get good grades.  But what I learned in a Psychology class many moons ago that if it is a money reward it should not be too high.  For example it was better to reward a child a dollar than ten dollars because if you set the reward higher then the child would consider it to be work and it would be better to set the reward lower so the child would think learning as fun.

Schools do offer reward in the form of scholarships, but they only are offered to a select few.  But the schools can offer other types of rewards, especially if a child is struggling in a class.

working