jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why do women from large families tend to tolerate, even endure less than respect

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why do women from large families tend to tolerate, even endure less than respectful, even abusive

relationships? Is it due to the fact that they were taught that as women that they did not matter and also in the familial perspective,never to think highly of themselves for that means that they are selfish?Women from large families were raised in environments where women were seen as inferior to men whose only purpose was to serve men.They were furthermore raised not to have a high value on themselves, putting themselves LAST & OTHERS FIRST.These are recipes for low self-esteem & entering into disrespectful, even abusive relationships.Perhaps write a hub about this.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12479284_f260.jpg

2. profile image59
    peter565posted 2 years ago

Abusive relationships are usually due to an obsession with fairy tale romance, because in western culture girls are taught to believe that is what true love and happiness is, through story such as "Cinderella" always ending with "The prince and Cinderella live happily ever after" but never justified why. However, real life very rarely resemble fairytale romance, in western culture men whom are ill temper and abusive, are usually more likely to be charming, as a result, women get obsess and end up in an abusive relationship. Usually girls from working class are more likely to be obsess with fairytale romance and ended up in abusive relationship as a result, due to wanting to be "Cinderella".

3. prettynutjob30 profile image91
    prettynutjob30posted 2 years ago

I came from a rather small family, just me, my sister, mom, and dad but I still ended up in bad relationships. I think is has more to do with a woman's self-esteem and less to do with how big her family is.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Women who come from large families tend to have little or no self-esteem.  They, as females, are told that they should be subordinate to men & are taught that they're inferior.  Also, they're told that to have a sense of self is SELFISH!

4. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 2 years ago

Your concept of a large family as inherently misogynistic is completely incorrect. It has no factual basis. Did you base the claim off a study found somewhere? I'm curious, mostly because I'm sure I could find many an article to counter it with.

I know a variety of large families (as well as small and medium) and the number of children involved is irrelevant to the beliefs taught within the household. Actually, the few girls I know who have ended up in relationships that are borderline abusive (or mutually abusive, in one instance) came from families where they were either the only child or one of three. They didn't receive much emotional support or attention from their parents growing up (one had an absentee father) nor were they pushed to take education seriously - perhaps these factors contributed to where they are now. I don't know. Every case is different. But it obviously was not a product of a large family.

On the other hand, both my parents came from families of 5 (Mom) or 6 (Dad). None of the men became abusers, none of the women suffer(ed) from low self-esteem or were ever abused. In fact, in my mother's childhood home the concept of women learning to stand on their own and become capable of tasks men might traditionally do, as well as always standing up for themselves, was actively focused on and encouraged.

working