jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you maintain that there are singular/uniform standards as to what is deemed b

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Do you maintain that there are singular/uniform standards as to what is deemed beautiful,

pretty, homely, plain, and ugly?  Do you further maintain that the phase, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," merely used to placate women who are considered to be less attractive?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12486215_f260.jpg

2. letstalkabouteduc profile image100
    letstalkabouteducposted 2 years ago

I think the definition of beauty has expanded. Kim Kardashian would not be considered gorgeous 30 years ago when supermodels set the standard -- very tall, very blond, very thin. Kim is none of those. Light-skinned black women were considered beautiful but not dark-skinned black women. Now they are plenty of dark-skinned back women who grace the covers of magazines, including the stunning Lupita Nyong'o. Even women in their 60s and 70s such as Raquel Welch, Caitlyn Jenner, and Christie Brinkley are considered "hot" and that's a huge change.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point.
      Beauty standards have a way of changing over time. Right now having a "big booty" for women is in vogue. 
      Kim Kardashian  would have been considered obese in the 1960 era of the model Twiggy. Today Kim's a "sex symbol" to many

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12671800_f260.jpg

I actually do believe "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
    If beauty was "uniform" a lot of people would never attract a mate!
    And yet if you step out of your house and visit any mall, grocery store, park, beach, movie theatre, or even church you are bound to see men or women whom (you find to be completely unattractive) and yet they have a mate! Maybe there is someone for everyone.
    One other conclusion is people learn to settle for what they can get.
    I'm sure when fashion model Heidi Klum was married to singer Seal a lot of folks must have done a double take! She earns more money than him so we know it wasn't about marrying him for wealth.
    Seal is not going to make anyone forget what Billy Dee Williams and Denzel Washington or Rick Fox looked like in their "hey day".
    I imagine Heidi saw something in Seal a lot of women would never see. Then again "fame" has ways of making less attractive people more desirable. At the very least people will listen to them.
    Sean Penn is another average looking guy at best but he's been attached to Madonna, Robin Wright, Charlize Theron, Calu Rivero, Shannon Costello, Scarlett Johansson, Petra Nemcova, model Elle Macpherson, and the list goes on and on.
    Jack Nicholson is another average looking guy who never seems to have a problem attracting "beautiful women".
    I'm sure if Sean and Jack had regular jobs installing cable or making UPS deliveries, cutting beef in a butcher shop, or selling shoes their income would factor into how attractive the women are they dated.

working