jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is it ethically wrong to pretend to firmly hold the views of others?

1. Oztinato profile image71
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Is it ethically wrong to pretend to firmly hold the views of others?

Recently a certain person admitted to pretending to have the views of others in order to get a reaction from a specific group online.
    He did not accept being admonished or see anything intrinsically wrong with this.

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

That may be a hard question to answer regarding ethics as that can be complex. For instance there is situational ethics as a branch within it. That is briefly "the doctrine of flexibility in the application of moral laws according to circumstances". Perhaps that is what is being considered?

I can remember many times in the workplace where I 'had' to accept a view regarding a direction being taken by leadership. In order to complete some task, which could be leading others, a premise must be of least acknowledged. Then that is acted upon with some faith with trust, even though there may be lack of belief. Next, is that pretending?

There is an old adage floating about that goes like this, "Fake it until you make it". I don't know if any of the above answers the question really, yet hopefully it offers thought.

1. Oztinato profile image71
      Oztinatoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's a start. I was referring to a hub author trying to manipulate people's reactions by deliberately and falsely misrepresenting their own stance. It seems shifty at best and fraudulent at worst.

2. Galadriel Arwen profile image77
      Galadriel Arwenposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If this were the case, everyone who believes in anything would be in trouble. From the beginning of life you are taught what to think and this is essential for you to deal with the world. So in fact, everything you believe and know is from others.

3. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

I can answer you in a spiritual way. One should generally be running away from darkness, and into the Light; away from the room of the mind, to the sanctum of the Heart. One should never do what makes one weak. What matters is Sincerity of Purpose; Purity of Intent ... these are all inner states.

If you are looking to shoot a man who has ran inside my house for shelter, I may tell you that I saw him running down the road. I would be lying, of course, but also saving that man's life. My motive here, was not to lie, but to preserve life. That is why the Saints say speak the Truth, but never a cruel Truth.

If you tell me that my wife is unfaithful, I may take her life. This would be a terrible thing to live with, even if you were right. So it is said, " A Truth that is told with bad intent, beat all the lies that man invent." (unknown)

The essence of what I'm saying is that inner motive or purity of intent, is always more important. God looks at the Heart, not the outer shell. Actions by themselves have no power. What matters in action, is always a vibrant awareness, of the power of Spirit.

Finally, with a knife I may stab someone, or I may use it to cook food and peel fruits; I may say: "Thank you!" with one motive, and the same 'Thank you' with intention to hurt. Do you get my drift now? It is the Heart that knows, always ... and the voice of Conscience, which is none other than the voice of God. They are the greatest Judges.

Let all your actions, be guided by a clear Conscience and with a wholesome goal in mind, then even the mistakes will become sweet.

working