If we bring down the tuition rate for grad school, would more people attend?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. mahsa setareh profile image80
    mahsa setarehposted 2 years ago

If we bring down the tuition rate for grad school, would more people attend?

Let's just say that the gov't brought down the tuition rate for graduate schools, do you think that this would make more people attend or would it stay the same? By how much should it be brought down?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12904424_f260.jpg

2. Shadrack2 profile image47
    Shadrack2posted 2 years ago

Yeah definitely. And that will be beneficial to the economy in the long run.

1. Express10 profile image88
      Express10posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree with you any more than I already do.

2. mahsa setareh profile image80
      mahsa setarehposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you both any more !! It would be so much better if the cost of Grad school evennnnn undergrads will be brought down, it's so expensive that I'm some people will be literally broke by the time they finish

3. Express10 profile image88

There definitely are people who are broke when they finish AND they choose careers that don't comfortably compensate them for their education and life expenses. Shockingly & sadly there's a tendency for teachers & professors to be in that boa

4. mahsa setareh profile image80

that's true, people are broke after masters...even bachelors! But if we bring tuition down maybe more people would actually make an effort to go to college and get and education instead of being unemployed or working in places they don't like

3. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

If you want to bring down all college costs:
    * end tenure for professors so you can get rid of the bad ones
    * end fluff courses where people pay $500 to sit through 50 hours in a class on Beyonce or rap to get literature credit
    * end ethnic studies programs and women's studies programs that turn out far more professional activists than society needs
    * inform people up front that student loans can't be discharged in bankruptcy and the full cost of tuition and fees, so they don't go so deeply in debt only to discover they are shackeled to it
    * encourage people to get degrees with market value instead of assuming that having a degree guarantees them a good paying job
    * stop encouraging kids to double the cost of college by living on campus to feel independent when they end up spending their 20s living at home to pay the loan payment instead of rent

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image75
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Tuition is actually usually cheaper if you live on campus, off-campus students tend to pay more per class.

2. mahsa setareh profile image80

Michaela - I would think that living on campus would be more expensive, thought I've never done that myself..always lived at home

Tamara - I love the idea of "encourage people to get degrees with market value"! On the point!

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 2 years ago

If the tuition for grad school in particular is brought down, I fully believe there would be a significantly higher number of people getting more education and expanding their professional skills or changing careers. Tuition for college is expensive but I can tell you that my grad school alone (not living & personal expenses) will easily be $80,000 for two years.
    I will be using scholarships, grants, and loans to pay for grad school. After grad school my career will pay significantly more than this per year however, I understand very well that for many grad school is just too costly. I have family & friends who say it simply costs too much to go to college, let alone grad school and the consequences for them and their loved ones are too often not good.

80,000$ Holyyyyyy wooooow! That's a lot...Where do you attend?
      I'm sure that it will be worth it once you finish school and have a good job big_smile

2. Express10 profile image88

I am not in grad school now but I'll be going to a school in Florida. Yes, $80,000! Holy cow, but it will be worth it.

3. mahsa setareh profile image80

Though it is worthit, 80K is still a lot of money and something that you have to work hard for. But at the same time imagine what it's like out of state.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

This is the 21st century and are K-12 is still back in the 19th century.
    The plan should be to reduce the 4 year college degree to 3 or even 2 years.
    This can be accomplished by removing the comprehensive courses found in the freshmen year of college and contain them in the high school years.

Take out the electives in college, and leave that to the students to broaden their learning. Focus in college on what is needed to get a job worthy of spending all that college tuition.\

As for the jobs, creating more internships at business is worth more than college credits. Academia and business are not twins, not even relatives. Every company has their own way of doing things. Companies can teach the basics to entry level people.

The whole concept of college needs to be transformed for the 21st century.

true, I see where you are going with it... I literally can buy a whole brand new first class car with my 4yr tuition money. It's so expensive.
      I like the idea of a 2yr University, so much better than a 4yr, though classes in HS would be a bit harder

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Mahsa
      Yes, and high school should be harder than it has been because there is more to learn in most of the subjects, especially technology.

3. mahsa setareh profile image80

I think from up until masters, tuition should be brought way down and I mean how about FREE?? jesus..I pay so much for Uni already and it's crazy! Imagine the people who go out of state

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think that a lot of these courses can be done online. MIT has online courses in computer programming. Quite frankly the students that were on campus for those classes didn't really interact with the instructor that much to make a difference.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)