Why are the rich so hated in recent American culture & society? Why is there suc

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

Why are the rich so hated in recent American culture & society? Why is there such STRONG

prejudice against the rich when they are the ones who build, contribute to & empower culture & society?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12949006_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

It's a growing problem. Hating people for having more money than you is cute in a teen or young adult. It's just ugly in older adults though. Very immature.

The mass media seriously perpetuates it. They want to talk about income inequality all the time. Well, income inequality can be a social issue, but it only exists because some folks are just super successful at what they do, and a lot of other folks don't do much at all.

But persons who are born rich often contribute next to nothing of worth to our world. Then, we make persons rich who contribute nothing of worth, like pop music or rap stars. Those people aren't even musicians. It's ugly out there, but I'm doubtful as to whether or not it is more ugly than it ever is.

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 7 years ago

I think it's human nature to want to blame someone for the things that are wrong in your life and the rich are easy targets. Sometimes it takes a great deal of effort not to succumb to jealously and allow bitterness to fill us. For most of us, we see the world the rich live in as plentiful and easy with a total lack of hardship and problems. While this is a false image, it is one that is fed to us on a regular basis. Is a parent's pain over the death of a child less because they are rich? No. Is a child's pain over the onset of Alzheimer's in a beloved parent less because they are rich? I don't think so. Sadly, most people don't want to see the similarities, they want to exploit the differences. If I'm living on a small fixed income and lose $20 I could be severely restricted in my grocery purchases for the month. If a rich person loses $20, it probably wouldn't even be noticed. This is where people want to dwell and I believe this is encouraged by the media and politicians. I also don't believe this is a recent attitude or that it is restricted to Americans.

4. roselinsojan profile image61
    roselinsojanposted 7 years ago

It is a problem in every country.there is always hatred between people, rich&poor.

5. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 7 years ago

I think a lot of it has to do with the number of poor people in our country. While some of the poor people in this country are poor from their own faults, some are not. So when looking at the fact, for an example, that 39% of our homeless population has a mental illness. It is a bit hard to understand why more "rich" people aren't doing more to help.
    The rich population on average donates 1.3% of their income to "Charity" while the lower incomes donate 3.2% on average. While that actually equals more money to charity from the rich, the rich get to get a charitable tax deduction, while the lower income donors usually don't itemize.
    Another example, out of the top 50 "charitable" donations from the rich in 2012, not one actually went to a charity that principally serves the poor. Most rich donors actually donate to things like big name colleges and museums. In other words their donations are actually to help the elite, not to help with the poor issues in this country like homeless, college for the poor, mental health issues, and poverty stuck generations.
    It's hard not to place some of the blame on them. I love money. I love the idea of people growing their wealth for generations to come. However I also love the idea of helping those who are willing to help themselves or who are unable to help themselves (mental illness, no college money, etc). So it is hard to wrap my brain around the elite not doing more to fix the problems of our country so more people have the ability to grow into the elite group.

6. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

It is easier to say take all their money or take everything they earned after a lifetime despite paying taxes on it via an inheritance tax if you demonize or dehumanize them first.

7. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Hi Grace Marguerite Williams! How's it going?

I guess you know my shtick by now, eh?

Then without further ado: Are the rich "so hated in recent American culture & society"? Is there "such a strong prejudice against the rich"? And are they, and they alone, "the ones who build, contribute to & empower culture and society"?

Do we know for a fact that that last assertion is a fact? Could it be that "American culture" "contributes to & empowers" people so that they can become rich? Is Bill Gates, for example, just as likely to have become a multi "gazillionaire" in, say, Zimbabwe, Myanmar, Outer Mongolia, and other garden spots of the world?

And isn't it really fair to say that "American culture & society" goes on "building up," "contributing to," and "empowering" the rich in their Rich-hood, through tax policy (specifically on minimal to no inheritance tax) and various areas of industrial and corporate policy, granting access to choice natural resources, patent law, torts, limited liability, international trade treaty provisions, and so forth?

And even when we consider the industries, through which the rich allegedly "build, contribute to & empower culture & society," the question we should ask is: Where did those industries come from?

The answer is, almost invariably: They got their start, their very conception, their development in the public sector, specifically the Pentagon through DARPA, the Department of Advanced Research Projects Administration.

And not only that, let's say something like: "Corporations create new products." But is that actually true?

It has long been my understanding that when a corporation comes out with a new product, its not so much that they have actually, internally invented the thing---they may claim credit for "developing" it, but one must always beware of the tricky use of language that these people engage in---but that they have bought a small company and integrated it into themselves, buying the rights to whatever the absorbed company produced.

You see it all the time on the business news, when you hear this corporation "acquire" this or that company.

But even with all that, does anybody actually "hate" the rich? In America we don't have the political class consciousness to "hate" the rich.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)