My son is 9yrs of age and showing some signs of dyslexia. How can I help him?

1. nasus loops profile image71
    nasus loopsposted 23 months ago

My son is 9yrs of age and showing some signs of dyslexia.  How can I help him?

My son has performed a vocabulary test which he scored 2yrs higher than his actually age yet his reading and writing level is approx 18months to 2yrs behind. Teachers say he is intelligent and has the answers in his head but is unable to get them onto paper.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 23 months ago

One of the most helpful members of the school staff is the Speech/Language clinician.They have diagnostic tests that pinpoint a child's language (reading, writing, speaking, processing) difficulties. If I had a son showing this little signs, I would ask if I could have the Speech/Language clinician/pathologist give him the tests she felt were appropriate.  If a clinician has been involved, I'd ask for some other tests.They are well trained in knowing which tools would be best.  This IS the beginning of the school year and it's a time when clinicians are most swamped developing Individual Educational Plans for their case loads, so it might take a while. The Speech/Language person at your school might be able to give you a the name of a private clinic that he or she trusts if you want more immediate answers.  Sometimes insurance covers the cost.  But I'd always defer to the school Speech/Language person.
    Dyslexia is an ambiguous label and other dynamics may be going on with your son.  If his vocabulary test is high that IS an indication of intelligence especially if its the Wechsler Test.  (Speech/Language is not my field and it has been YEARS since I've been in education, but this is what I remember). 
    I, myself am a very auditory learner.  I hear every word in my head when I read.  It's called sub-vocalization. I get most of my information from listening. I love radio and am always listening to informational radio in the car or at home. I am a writer, but I do like to create recordings. 
    I think the most important thing right now is not to panic and to give your son as much positive feedback in his skill areas as possible.  I'd ask the teacher if oral reports were an option, but I would want to be sure it was  an option for the class at as a whole.  You don't want to single him out and make a potential non-issue into an issue. However, you also want to cover all bases. It's like walking a tight rope. You have to be sure you don't go overboard one way or the other.
    I remember when my little girl started stuttering at 2. The most important reaction to a little child who has started to stutter is to not respond to the stuttering at all. You don't want to lock a negative in.  Same with this.
    At home, I'd just continue reading with him, having him read to me.  Seeing you write some thank you letters, cards, etc. is a good model for him.  Whatever subject he's interested in, that's the subject for him to try writing about.(PS. Is he left-handed?) In that case, I'll get back to you smile I'm left-handed!

1. nasus loops profile image71
      nasus loopsposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Hi Billie

Thank you for your detailed answer. I have enjoyed reading it and it has given me some ideas on how to support him. He does write with his right hand but in his early years it was a long while before he truly settled with that hand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)