jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What makes a person w/lots of job opportunities in terms of promotions choose to

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 15 months ago

What makes a person w/lots of job opportunities in terms of promotions choose to remain

in an impoverished dead end job but always complaining about being poor & struggling?  Why would such people when they are young never want to advance themselves career-wise yet now in their old age, bemoan the fact they are living below the poverty line w/very little monies for the essentials?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9911694_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

When you're reliant on welfare, the welfare cliff is a very real threat. Earn a couple dollars over this threshold, lose childcare subsidies or free housing, and those costs are thousands of dollars you don't have.
    You may hate that barely getting by state, but you cannot possibly earn the 10K more to offset the loss of welfare benefits, so you hate the system and feel trapped, too.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 15 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13264724_f260.jpg

Some folks want the most they can get for the "least amount of effort" required. "I could have been a manager but I don't want all the headaches that come with it. I just want to do my job and go home."
    Those statements are fairly common among most workers.
    Higher pay usually means more responsibilities, working beyond 5PM, and proactively looking for ways better the company and increase profits.
    Lots of people are content with leaving at 5PM and getting a 3% raise. That actually may be fine if a person never gets married, has no children, or doesn't go on lavish spending sprees...
    (Assuming they never get laid off.)
    However the reality is circumstances always change and when they do there is usually a financial cost associated with them.
    In past eras there were jobs considered "stepping stone" jobs in which people worked while they were in college or pursuing their dream career.
    Today there is a push to make grocery baggers, paperboy delivery, and fast food server salaries "living/middle class wages" to support buying homes, cars, investing, and raising a family.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 15 months agoin reply to this

SOOOO SPOT ON w/this analysis.  My middle maternal aunt was OFFERED promotions to manager in Gimbels but she preferred to be a clerk; NOW she COMPLAINS about poverty- well, TOO BAD!  Should have thought of this while young!

working