jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do we choose our music or our music makes us what we are?

1. Vinodkpillai profile image80
    Vinodkpillaiposted 6 years ago

Do we choose our music or our music makes us what we are?

Does our personality and temperament influence our choice of music? Or is it the other way around - that the music we listen influences us to be the kind of person we shape up to be?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Kind of a the-chicken-or-the-egg thing, isn't it?  That is, the influence flows both ways.  In my case (as a singer/songwriter), I can't stand tunes that don't tell a story with clear, understandable lyrics--and I suspect that comes from someplace deep inside myself.  Then on the other hand, the "drifter" songs I sang constantly on the rodeo circuit in my younger years definitely reinforced a "love of the open road." 

You know:  Saddle Tramp, Greenback Dollar, Wild Goose, Wayward Wind, They Call the Wind Mariah, Thunder Road...like that. smile

3. soulsirene profile image60
    soulsireneposted 6 years ago

I will not choose one nor refuse none. I agree that personality and temperament influence our choice of music; I also agree that the music we listen make us to be the kind of person we shape to be. I am a serious person, and I like jolly songs. I appreciate different kinds of music, unless they have pleasant meaning to ponder. Music is the sound that makes the world alive.

4. Escobana profile image73
    Escobanaposted 6 years ago

Being Bipolar I know all about the influence of music on my state of mind.

If I was maniacal I needed to listen to classical music or lounge music. Up tempo music would increase my hyperactivity.

If I was depressed I needed to listen to dance music and salsa for instance. This would help me feel more positive.

However I didn't know about these effects for a long time, which made me listen to the wrong type of music, making it easier to lose my mind. I could go dancing all night, being maniacal, increasing my hyperactivity while risking my mental health in a very serious way.

Music can influence someone very deeply. In a good way or in a bad way.

5. IJR112 profile image60
    IJR112posted 6 years ago

I really have no idea because there was a time where rap music was my favorite genre but now classical music is.  I'm not that different of a person now.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I choose my music.  I really don't give music that much credit to say it has shaped who I am.  My childhood traumas, my day to day experiences, my life now with my family-have all shaped who I am today - music has been a nice addition.

7. jeanniedoe profile image56
    jeanniedoeposted 6 years ago

Music can influence the mood of the person but I believe that human is the one who chooses the music that fits for him.

8. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 6 years ago

Music has the power to change our moods. If we listen to sad and heart broken music we feel sad too. If we switch on to lively music it can make us feel lively.  Not only the the melody of the music that affects our emotions but the lyrics too. If we are depressed we must avoid listening to negative and suicidal songs but rather find some inspiring and positive songs to listen to.
    Another thing that music does to our lives is that it is one way we can pour out our emotions if we sing out loud. It can help us to ease the pain that is accumulated in our hearts. And that's why a saying says" Music is the language of the soul"

Check this hub;  http://hillymillydee.hubpages.com/hub/W … Do-For-You