I'm bipolar 1 and my unprofessional mother and sister say I have a personality d

1. profile image60
    lauraweathley1posted 15 months ago

I'm bipolar 1 and my unprofessional mother and sister say I have a personality disorder that wrong

I want to know why they are alienating me.  I'm 62 and was diagnosed when I was 39.  No psychiatrist has mentioned personality disorder. I think they are tagging me with this is because my mother is also bipolar and has turned my identical twin against me.  My twin is depressed not bipolar.  I love these women and don't know what to do.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image94
    TessSchlesingerposted 15 months ago

Bipolar is a mood disorder - not a personality disorder. A disorder is something that is incurable.

It's not important whether they think you have a personality disorder or a mood disorder. It's a disorder, and it's difficult for most people to adjust to those who are unfortunate enough to have a disorder.  So very, very unlucky to be born this way. My heart felt compassion to you.

It sounds like there are other issues. Ask them how you can improve the situation.

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

Your family may not want to admit the diagnosis because they see bipolar as worse than a personality disorder, because bipolar is medical diagnosis from the brain chemistry being imbalanced (can't maintain mood so it swings up and down) while a personality disorder could be treated by only counseling.
    Go with what the doctor has said, not what other mentally ill people want to be true. What you wish to be real doesn't make it real, and catering to their delusions hurts both you and them.