jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the most important thing in education and why?

1. Daniel L Salami profile image61
    Daniel L Salamiposted 7 months ago

What is the most important thing in education and why?

2. Lindsay Bloom profile image59
    Lindsay Bloomposted 7 months ago

I think it's a fallacy to consider only one thing as the most important - in education or with regard to most things. First you'd have to set criteria by which to determine whether something is important or not. Then you'd have to rank the criteria in order of importance. And who is to say which would be most important?

What if one aspect of education best meets the top-ranked criterion but something else meets more criteria?

If I were just throwing out possibilities of things that might qualify as most important in education, I'd mention:

-- developing critical thinking skills
    -- teaching the basic skills needed to survive in modern society (reading, math, computer usage, social skills)
    -- preparing students to be able to earn a living
    -- engaging students - nothing can be learned well if the students don't want to learn it
    -- teachers who know their material and can convey it well
    -- money - for safe, comfortable schools. supplies such as textbooks and lab equipment, teacher and classroom aide salaries, etc.

To me, all of these and more are important to education. No one item is most important.

3. Daniel L Salami profile image61
    Daniel L Salamiposted 7 months ago

Thanks for your contribution and insight into this topic and yes there isn't one most important thing in education

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13718055_f260.jpg

Learning!
    It's the primary reason why we go to school.

working