jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

If a color comes up 2 out of 12 spins how many would it theoretically come up pe

1. Missing Link profile image81
    Missing Linkposted 4 months ago

If a color comes up 2 out of 12 spins how many would it theoretically come up per 27 spins?

My son is working on math that is way beyond me now that  am 49-have been out of school for so long.  He spun a wheel with a number of colors 12 times and green came up twice and orange once.  If he were to spin it 15 more times (for a total now of 27 spins), what now would be the total of times green and orange comes up?  Since we already know what happened when there was 12 spins I think we just now need to calculate for the additional 15 spins?  I know you could spin it 15 more times and neither color comes up at all but just assume the same as when it was spun the first 12 times. Thanks!

2. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 4 months ago

You are doing probability based math. You can find lots of information on that through google. https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/probability.html

Missing Linkposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thanks very much!  I've been out of school way to long to handle math like this by myself!  Thanks again!

3. verdict profile image92
    verdictposted 2 months ago

Finding the number of outcomes by experiment is called experimental probability. In this case, out of 12 spins, green came up twice and orange once.
    This means Pr(green)=2/12 and Pr(orange)=1/12
    To predict the number of each of these colours out of 27 spins,we find what fraction of 27 each of these probabilities is.
    For green: (2/12)x27=4.5 (round up to 5)
    For orange: (1/12)x27=2.25 (round down to 2)

So out of 27 spins, it is expected that green will turn up 5 times and orange will turn up twice.

Missing Linkposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Excellent---thanks so much---best answer!

working