Do you think the degree are important than your ability?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years ago

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Ability and social skills are BY FAR the most important in getting a good job.  Steve Jobs dropped out of college, and look how he prospered!  There is a long list of people who have done this - dropped out of high school, even!  On the other hand, there is also a long list of college graduates who are homeless - or close.

1. Zeron87 profile image95
      Zeron87posted 7 years ago

Nah.  Experience can make up for a degree, but a degree can never make up for experience.  In the end, employers and clients want to know whether you can do the job or not.  You can bullsh** your way to a degree, but you can't bs your way into a portfolio. 

That being said, don't underestimate the power of a college education:  Just having it shows you can dedicate yourself to accomplishing a task, that you've surrounded and tempered yourself in your field of study (even if you didn't take your coursework seriously), and statistics show college grads, on average, make more than dropouts (high school or college).  The trick most college grads ignore is you have to combine your education with real work experience to be a good hiring prospect (that's... what internships are for... @_@). College graduates that believe their diplomas alone are worth their weight in gold are the ones who can't find work after graduation.

2. Tricia Deed profile image88
      Tricia Deedposted 7 years ago

It is critical to corporations that you have a degree. If someone is hired because of their experience and it is later learned that this person has a high school degree only, other employees with college degrees will be very upset.

A college degree to an employer represents an employee who has a career interest. Many jobs (usually dead-end employment) do not require a college degree.

A college degree is only one part of the story, your ability is another. You may have the intellectual ability, but not have a physical working ability for the same task.

The job which needs to be done determines college degree or not. The trash man does not need a college degree. However, an industrial environmental engineer will need a college degree to manage the trash operation.

3. Zeron87 profile image95
      Zeron87posted 7 years ago

Not arguing here, but just pondering this Tricia...  It sounds the biggest reason you stated having a college degree is important is because other employees that went "through the trouble" of getting a degree will be "upset" (which I translate as jealous).  What I have to say to that is freak their feelings. 

The biggest point I see of a college education is two things: A: to ensure the individual has a rounded education (no matter what job you work, you'll be doing other tasks other than what's in the job description, some problems requiring mathematics others representing yourself through writing), and B. To acquire a document showing you went through the training to understand the basics of what the job requires.  But why do you need a degree to do those things?  What a degree truly represents, at its core, is proving you have the discipline to acquire the knowledge to work in your field (and that you have that knowledge), but not everyone needs a degree to do that.  With independent programs and online resources, it's now easier than ever to emulate a college courseload to its final, desired effect.  All one needs is the discipline to do it.  So, if a person's portfolio and credentials show he or she has what's necessary to accomplish the task, why punish them for already having the discipline others have to pay $5000+ dollars a year for?  I believe that's a trap the business side of education is trying to create in the workforce, by overvaluing what a college degree is.  "If you want to work here, you have to come to us first," that sort of thing.  That is also why having a degree is smarting than not having one though, because of that stigma in society that no other educational opportunities or discipline can equate a college degree.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

It rather depends on the degree.  A medical degree and associated license are a non-negotiable prerequisite for anyone wanting to stick a scalpel in me.

5. profile image54
      ayush22posted 7 years ago

You have a degree and you can get the job instead of the person who is yet undergraduate or in high school,this is an old concept.Degree is just a waste paper if you have no knowledge about what you learned in past four years of the college,a person with the experience,skills and creative mind in same field will never needs a degree.May he just completed his high school only but it depends on how capable you are for required work.I'm not saying that you don't need a degree what i wanted to say is you must have the knowledge what you learning that will help you for the better future.

6. Paxash profile image94
      Paxashposted 7 years ago

I think I and many other 20-somethings with college degrees who had a hard time getting any kind of job after graduation could probably attest to the fact that degrees don't mean anything unless you have something else to go along with it.

I had a hard time finding any kind of job because I had no work experience before graduating college. I've found that prior experience is far more crucial now than a college education.

7. psycheskinner profile image83

My degree *is* many of my abilities, my degree course taught me specialized skills that I use in my work.

8. psycheskinner profile image83

All degrees are not equal, any more than all life experience is.  You benefit can from a degree that gives you skills and/or accreditation that open doors for you. or makes you a better person.  Its all about making good choices; degree or no degree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)