jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

What are Alternatives to the Price System?

1. profile image0
    rakubaposted 6 years ago

What are Alternatives to the Price System?

1. thooghun profile image83
      thooghunposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A barter system? My butter for your salt?

2. smcopywrite profile image75
      smcopywriteposted 6 years agoin reply to this

how about everything everywhere absolutely free. it can work but would anyone buy into it? in order for this to work everyone would have to buy into it. i have always had the thought that the internet should be free. you shouldnt have to pay for access to this information anywhere on the planet. you shouldnt pay for servers or providers. everything should be free and lets start with internet and access to it.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I like it!  I presume you will be purchasing all the physical equipment needed to support the web as well as the technicians to keep it going (you will have to maintain salaries as slavery is illegal)?  And then maintaining it forever so that everyone can have free access?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
          uncorrectedvisionposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Free of cost is a completely imaginary thing.  Everything has some kind of cost.

That was my point.  If we ignore the technical cost of my effort to inform smcopywrite of my computer address and that I need hook up there is still a huge cost to be paid.  By her, not by me, but still a cost.

2. Peter Owen profile image61
        Peter Owenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If everything is free, noone would have to work. But if noone worked, nothing would be produced. So what would you be getting for free?

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 6 years agoin reply to this

None.  The price regulated free market sets in place a means of controlling for the most immutable characteristic of all material things - scarcity.  The allocation of resources, pursuing alternatives, opportunity costs are all accounted for in a price regulated system.  In a price regulated system hording, scarcity and surplus are all less likely.  In fact, even if there were no measured means of exchange - dollars, euros, pesos - than an ersatz currency would be created - one chicken equals a dozen eggs and a half pound of butter and so on.  Even a barter system eventually becomes a psuedo-price driven economy.

One need only look at prisons where cigarettes have been used as currency.  The military in war zones where rations, goods from home, chocolate and nylons have been. famously, used as currency.  It is a price regulated economy that staves off the chaos that lurks below the surface - looting after any kind of disruption, anyone?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

They have now some kind of Internet coin for
    participants. And some say we don't need money any more as everything could be done with computers. However I can't quite imagine this.

While we may or may not need the physical presence of paper and metal money, we will always need the concept represented even if it is simply bookkeeping by computers.

working