jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

What does the phrase, "Freedom isn't free," mean?

1. miss_jkim profile image83
    miss_jkimposted 6 years ago

What does the phrase, "Freedom isn't free," mean?

2. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 6 years ago

To not be ruled by tyrannical government or powers, it must be resisted to the point of fighting to keep from it from taking over. Many have fought for this to the death to actually buy this freedom for their family and countrymen.

3. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Someone..........in fact, Many, paid the  ultimate price for our freedoms.

Have you  heard of the American Revolution?

WW1 or WW2?

Vietnam?

Ancient wars?

Solidiers DIED and risked their lives just so that the spirit of freedom, and choice, for someone else, might live on.

Someone, somewhere, sometime, has given their life, so that you might be free.

Get it now?

Perhaps, you could pay tribute in a lovely poem for soldiers................perhaps.....

4. ashatt profile image71
    ashattposted 6 years ago

I would have to agree. Freedom always comes at a price. You may not have paid that price for your own freedom necessarily, but someone did at some point.

5. lostdogrwd profile image61
    lostdogrwdposted 6 years ago

its a continuance fight with government to keep your freedom for government spend much time trying to take them away. make no mistake and you can check it that governments are the biggest murderer of the people than ALL OTHER DEATH COMBINED..

6. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

Freedom does not come without a price, meaning you have to fight for it.

7. H P Roychoudhury profile image47
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 6 years ago

Without fundamental freedom life has no meaning.

8. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 6 years ago

I was born an Army brat and my dad served in combat in WW II and again during Korea. He is now buried in a veteran's cemetery. Freedom is far from free for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Of course, there are the hawks who dodged the draft and took deferments and maybe for them freedom is free.

9. Craig Suits profile image77
    Craig Suitsposted 6 years ago

The answer is fairly obvious isn't it?
    Come on, you can think deeper than that. I read a few of your hubs and your pretty sharp...

10. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

Ideologies with great value in life come at a heavy price. If it is worth having, it is worth fighting for.  History tells us that freedom has come through sacrifice, bloodshed and war. There are those who will continue to try to take it away.  Even today, there remains prejudice, injustice, terrorists, thugs, dictators and corruption that threaten freedom in the world. 

The St. Louis news is riff with stories of children being killed behind the walls of their homes by random gunfighting in the streets.  When the fear of being killed in your own home or walking outside exists, freedom does not.

The battle continues globally.  Freedom oppressed in other countries is seen with vicious fighting in the streets, bombs and killing, as well as shootings in our own neighborhood streets.  Freedom will always be worth defending and will always come at great cost.

11. miss_jkim profile image83
    miss_jkimposted 6 years ago

Interesting response Amy, thanks for sharing.

12. alzheimersfacts profile image60
    alzheimersfactsposted 6 years ago

It means that, if you want to be free you have to be vigilant in protecting and may have to fight for your freedom.
    Vigilance and being ready to defend it is the price of freedom.

13. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

It means that we must constantly be vigilant and that we must be willing to make whatever sacrifices are necessary to maintain our freedom.  If we do not do these things, we will lose our freedom.

14. kevins blog52 profile image77
    kevins blog52posted 5 years ago

I'm a Vietnam vet and all I have been through and still live with every day, I have but one answer to a question like this. If you don't know what it means you don't deserve to have it!

1. miss_jkim profile image83
      miss_jkimposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Kevin,

After spending 20+ years as a military dependent, I am very aware of what it means. The question was asked to see what the responses would be from other readers, to see if people still understood it's meaning. Thanks for your service & an

working