jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Is corruption inscribed in man's genes?

1. profile image0
    Rafickposted 6 years ago

Corruption is what drives the world since a long time. I'm wondering whether it is inscribed in man's genes. What do you think?

1. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm fairly certain it is not (and I'm fairly certain Science related to the development of the brain in childhood backs me up on this).  A sense of conscience is something nurtured into children in early childhood, and sense of integrity (even in the face of one's own insecurities) is as well.

The world has a long way to go before all parents are sufficiently skilled at nurturing to the point where corruption becomes far more of a rarity than it is now, or has been in the past.

In the meantime, however, there are lots of people who would never be "corruptible" or resort to corrupt behavior.  That, alone, essentially proves that corruption isn't in all people's "genes".

1. profile image0
        Rafickposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Lisa. You are right: there are many people who aren't corrupt. I hope the uncorruptible take over the corrupt one day.

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Corruption is not what drives the world nor has corruption done so for a long time. Nice little piece of distortion you are spreading or attempting.
      Oh, so man must be genetically predisposed to corruption? Oh please, give me a break.

Genes, genetics, this or that. How pathetic?

1. lightning john profile image60
        lightning johnposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It  da devil dat make us do it.

1. Cagsil profile image60
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey John, that argument is just a full of BS as is most of the Gene junk. lol

1. lightning john profile image60
            lightning johnposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I knew that would get a laugh out of you.

2. profile image0

There's no distortion. Corruption is what drives the world. I insist. Just prove me the contrary.

But I never said there was a gene of corruption. I said I was wondering about it. Big difference.

3. Shadesbreath profile image86
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Like Cagsil, I too think that your choice of "drives" is too strong. Corruption does not drive the world (and by "world" I assume you mean the human one).

However, I think the point you are trying to make is that corruption seems an inescapable part of the human condition. In that I think you are correct. Many great philosophers and theologians (some who became central figures in major religions) have described the struggle between our base nature and our ideals. Almost the entire body of art and literature has been dedicated to charting the struggle since.

The question of "man's inherent evil" or "original sin" or however you want to frame the conversation, ultimately becomes one of "which came first, the chicken or the egg." All we can do is try to focus on the ideal and discipline ourselves to act against the evolutionary leftovers of our selfish, surviving selves. Which is, I think, your point regarding our genes.

At least that's my two cents on it.

1. profile image0

Thank you for your wisdom, Shadesbreath.

2. superwags profile image80
    superwagsposted 6 years ago

What are these posts? I've just seen one "wondering" whether there is a gene for "self-destruction" without qualifying what that actually means.

The answer again is no.

1. profile image0

Excuse me, wondering can be a means to start a discussion.

2. profile image0

And you are speaking about self-destruction... This post is about corruption.

1. superwags profile image80
        superwagsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Read it through again. And you started off the post I mentioned too so don't feign ignorance.

1. profile image0

I'm not feigning ignorance. Why are you being arrogant? This post is about corruption and the other one self-destruction. They are genuine questions about humanity and all the nonsense into which it is indulging. Maybe you don't understand their importance.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Some socio-biologists believe men and women are driven to be unfaithful to life long partners by genetic forces.

Mating with strangers introduces fresh genetic material into tightly controlled groups/families and strengthens them.

A little bit of strange does the gene pool good.

I have no opinion on this.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

No, because you have the capacity to evaluate your actions.

5. optimus grimlock profile image52
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

no its not but it doesn take certain people over easily!!

working