jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

How often do you text and walk at the same time? Is it dangerous?

1. Omeva profile image74
    Omevaposted 2 years ago

How often do you text and walk at the same time? Is it dangerous?

2. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 2 years ago

I don't because I hate texting on the phone.  I'll do it on the computer cause I can use a full size keyboard, but not on those tiny things, I can't!

However, I saw a good u-tube video, very well done that showed what can happen when you get lost in texting while walking.She did it very well and despite having to cross the road and avoiding other dangers she managed it all very well.  She texted with the right hand whilst holding hands with a small girl with the left.

this went on for quite a while, and I was wondering whether we were going to see a grisly meeting between girl and big truck coming round the corner.  Thankfully that did not happen.

What did happen was that the little girl stopped holding her hand and the woman did not notice.  The woman kept walking slowly and whilst she turned right at one point, the child went left, and of course got lost. It took a long time for them to find each other again,

3. Motherbynature profile image76
    Motherbynatureposted 2 years ago

Never!  That's why I'm still here.  I tried it and I can't.  YouTube has lots of videos of people getting hit by cars and even run over by trains because they were too busy looking at their phone to see it coming.  I think most people who do it assume that the drivers will do all the work for them and just stop the vehicle if they see a person walking. The problem with that is... most of the drivers are texting too!

4. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 2 years ago

Read Dr. John Medina's New York Best Seller's Brain Rules. Dr. Medina, a brain scientist, discusses replicated evidence that supports that our brain cannot process information simultaneously. Our brain switches back and forth; thus, when we encounter more than one stimuli at the same time our reaction time is not optimal and indeed may perhaps be too slow or too late...

1. MarieLB profile image83
      MarieLBposted 2 years agoin reply to this

John, just a benign question.  Did Dr Medina study on comparable numbers of males and females?

2. connorj profile image75
      connorjposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Indeed he did; his book also addresses the differences in female and male human brains which are not that significant...

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

no, i get a hell of a headache if i do that. I even get a headache when i text in the car, moving or not. Text and walk is dangerous, might get hit and run by vehicles