Do you believe in global warming ?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Tcad1191 profile image58
    Tcad1191posted 12 years ago

Why or why not

P.S. you would be surprised to find out how many people don't believe in global warming.

1. jcbmack profile image63
      jcbmackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. Anthropogenic global Warming is not supported by the actual laws of thermodynamics, like the second law: S = Q/T, nor is it supported by the physics of latent heat processes, or the principles of the third law of thermodynamics in regards to thermal equilibrium. Furthermore, most weather, despite the media highlights is good, and in fact has not reached a new high statistical average beyond previous decades, or even centuries based upon the best records we can find.

The hockey stick is in severe error and ignores the fullness of the buffering capacity of water, clouds and even terrestrial land, even where there is not ice.

Water has a high specific heat and heat capacity and it covers around 75% of the globe making the Earth a great absorber of heat without raising the temperature at all. When water temps do rise clouds are also formed. Recently in the peer review papers from respectable journals it was found water vapor actually cools the globe and does not produce a net warming effect. Also at NASA satellite data shows that in fact more radiation is leaving the planet than was previously believed. While it is true S, entropy is increasing, energy is conserved and not created or destroyed, showing the lack of credibility in global climate change as it is presented by many.

Now the real issues are: air pollution, water pollutions and the size of lanfills to be sure, then pollution is a real issue.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The issue is not as simple as you portray.  Small rises in sea water temperature can make big changes, reductions in the main ocean currents can also make big changes in both local and global weather.

There are good arguments on both sides but neither can convince me totally as yet.  However, the dispute over this has obscured other major changes that man is making to our environment such as the mass extinction of species due to our just being here and our activities, the absurd situation of half the world huddled around the wealth of a few people while the other half barely scrapes life out of each year.

The publicised material that warns about global warning comes from the same places that warnings of mass extinctions and global poverty,  the opposing materials come from global corp. inc. and the oil companies. 

I choose to go with the global warming side not necessarily because they are right - mostly because global corp. inc. on the opposing team are proven to be a lying bunch of warmongering profiteers.

1. jcbmack profile image63

The simple version or a more complex version that is still very simple is all any human or supercomputer can do. In order to evaluate Delta  Q(change in heat flow) it would take 500-1000 pages of calculations that take into account all: heat sources, heat sinks, delta T's (change in temperatures) and a far more rigourous statistical analysis of an additional 1000 or more pages.

The same research sources: NASA, MIT and Penn State that says we have global warming are the same centers with research emerging saying we do not. Thus it is not just the oil and gas companies funding research. Also last time I cheacked NASA was not doing much to help the poor.

I read each IPCC report to date and much of the climate scientist's papers and books as well.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you know - Global Warming no longer exists as the predicted rise in average temperatures simply hasn't happened (according to some reports), and the winter's are getting more harsh and colder - however, it's now called Climate Change!

The real big problem is that data has been manipulated by both sides and not presented in an objective way - corporations either want Global Warming to happen (so they can sell green products) or don't want Global Warming to happen (as they are the ones supposedely causing it) - so money is being thrown into research that is obeviously going to be slanted towards the sponsor.

Even educational insitutions are likely to skew the facts as there are a lot of huge grants available for green issues!

Take out the money and debate the issue using science and we may get some real answers one day!

As an aside - we're all being told to get rid of old light bulbs and use the new environmentally safe ones - great so we are reducing energy and being good to the environment right? Well - did you know that these 'efficient' light bulbs should not be thrown into normal land-fill as they contain mercury? they have to be properly recycled? I know 9 out of the 10 people I asked about it didn't......

...money money money!!!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I would be more surprised if people actually searched the forums for threads on the topics that they want to discuss.

As for your topic? I've no interest in the debate going on with it. There's enough distortion and misinformation spreading around about it, as it is. And, no it wouldn't surprise me how many people don't believe it, because the average person has trouble finding any credible information, due to political misinformation.

Almost all facts I read in a survey done in America were not believed by over 60% of citizens. So, no I wouldn't be surprised.

1. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Outside America global warming is seen as a verifiable fact by most.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Earnest,

I'm not doubting that. I was appalled when I read about the survey taken in America, about how many believe in facts. It's ridiculous, because if 60% don't believe in the facts established, then how the hell are these same people ever going to figure out when they are being lied to?

It's pathetic and it's very sad.

2. jcbmack profile image63

Interesting belief system.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think the evidence is clear that humanity has adversely effected the environment. But, I don't see where we are in any position but being along for the ride at this point. I've read that the greenhouse gases caught under the now melting permafrost outstrip any the western world has generated. The oceans have massive amounts of greenhouse gases trapped and slowly being released.

The Kyoto Accord, in my opinion, was a token agreement. No country will make the radical changes we would all have to make to change things. They won't take the risk of being the first to adversely affect their ability to compete economically. And who could blame them? Plus, could you tell developing nations to halt their economic progress?

The bed is made. I hope for the best, but it's anyone's guess where it ends.

Australia is trying to push through a carbon tax. The right wing loons are blocking it. I hope we can introduce it and achieve the results now accumulating in parts of Europe who have had a carbon tax in place for some time without the dire consequences predicted by the raging right.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Drops in the proverbial bucket. It's nice to think you can do something, but it's only a fantasy. China has surpassed America in carbon emissions and they are just getting started. For every person in the western world that suffers guilt at the situation and tries to change their carbon footprint, there are three people in developing nations struggling to have what we have.

I'd love to believe the die wasn't cast,  but I can't find a way to get there. Of course, America will be blamed for whatever happens globally. But, we get blamed for everything. I'm surprised it hasn't been proposed yet that we killed Christ. We take the brunt of all the other fantasies.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So true.  But our great Obama will apologize for all us Americans and make evvwweethang okay I'm sure.

1. profile image0

I don't know about that, but you can't make anything ok when you are the global scapegoat.

2. earnestshub profile image82

I believe we can make a difference and much is being done in China to deal with it's current and future emissions, which admittedly is an issue of immense proportion.

The amount of emission from Australian bush fires caused by lightning strikes alone is probably multiples of Australia's man made emissions.
          The point being that the problem of global warming is here already and every contribution matters.

1. profile image0

I'd ask to borrow a pair of those rose colored glasses, but that would involve shipping. Which would involve carbon emissions. Which would contribute to the problem.

I would be curious to know exactly what China is doing to cut back on greenhouse gases. From everything I've heard the economy is like America was at the time of the robber barons. If they are willing to poison their own children just to make a profit I doubt anyone is overly concerned with greenhouse gases.

I have seen one BBC documentary and a report out of Deutsche Welle through ABC radio that shows planning for new systems to be implemented. I will see if I can locate a link.
              I believe from what I gleaned from the broadcast that the Chinese Government are well aware of the percussions at home if they allow pollution to go unchecked.

I edited the Aust/China Herald during the late 1990s and saw the new legislation being introduced and indeed edited them in English.

Things are changing rapidly in China, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to lie to the people in my view.

4. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

No I don't. This purely political 'green' movement is telling us that the oranges we see are actually apples - the steady temperatures, the non-melting ice caps, the non-rising sea levels, the not-dying polar bears, all actually mean that the world is ending and it's all your fault, so pay Al Gore some money and everything MIGHT be OK.

And don't give me that nonsense that oil companies are funding denial; that may be true in some quarters, but the IPCC and green movement is a purely Rothschild and Rockerfeller funded operation, who happen to own all of the oil.
    http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/un/environment.htm

60% of Americans know in their gut that they're being conned.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

I do believe in global warming. I do not believe we can do anything to prevent it though. Trying to patch up a hole in the O-zone would be as effective as sticking your finger into a leak in a dyke. It can't be done.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)