What would be the result if?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 11 years ago

What would be the result to life as we know it in the event of a "Polar Reversal"

Some have claimed we would all rapidly instantaneously be burned up and gone, and earth would then enter into yet another "Ice Age".

Some have claimed we could go off of our orbit, be drawn possibly into the sun and be no more.

Yet others have claimed that the reversal would be gradual but we could face a communications wipeout that would cripple and destroy our financial situations so we should be stocking up on all provisions now in order to survive.

What do you think?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about the others; but, definitely it's not going to be 'Into Orbit' lol. Earth has its gravity and no matter what happens to the magnetic field gravity will exist.

Dave Mathewsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not so sure about your statement on gravity. I believe that once we leave the earth's orbital space we enter into "ZERO" gravity. Isn't this why astronaut spaces suits are weighted down? So if the earth abruptly and swiftly reverses its "Poles" is there not the possibility for man to be thrown off into space?

Man has to be in space to experience 0 gravity right smile ? Someone has to put them there. They aren't going to go floating from the Earths surface

So you don't think that an abrupt shifting from North to South might cause man to be thrown off into space? I hope you have lead in your pants?

Only foolish ppl will say something like what u stated

I don't consider myself foolish my friend and I am definitely not what ever your acronym ppl what ever that means refers to. I believe that anything is possible, gravity not withstanding.

By the way, I loathe and hate acronyms. People assume that others know what they mean. Not me, I don't know.

1. janesix profile image59
                  janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dave, just dont line your pants with iron, you might be sucked down to the south pole when the shift happens!

Isn't that what he's hoping for smile Getting as far away from Santa as he can and staying put to the Earth lol

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
              Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are confusing gravity with magnetism

1. janesix profile image59
                janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think he has to be joking. No one could really think that. Could they?

Yes, Dave could after all you know him!

2. ib radmasters profile image60
      ib radmastersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can only answer this with humor.
      Get an RMA for returning a defective product.

3. profile image0
      jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We'll have to change the compasses!

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

Tin-foil hats will be all the rage!

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

It has happened many times before, as polar geomagnetic imprints are found all over the planet. It would be chaos.

4. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

Yeah, probably. Before all of this technology we might have escaped unscathed (except for some widespread panic as the auroras appeared across the globe), but with all of our satellites and wireless tech, I'm sure we'd be done for now.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Polar reversal has happened before and the planet is still here. I dare say that will be true if/when it happens again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)