jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

how do you feel about a rocky spin off?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image92
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

According to various sources, Stallone wants to make a spin off movie to his epic franchise, "Rocky."  Only this time the focus won't be on Rocky himself, but rather Apollo Creed's grandson.  In the film, the grandson becomes inspired to take up boxing even though his family is fairly wealthy, and he doesn't have to.  However, he goes to Rocky Balboa to train him, and to guide him to become a new heavy weight contender. 

The film is said to possibly star Michael B. Jordan as the main character, while Stallone would be reprising his role as Rocky Balboa respectively.  The director that's allegedly attached to this is Ryan Coogler,  who recently directed a film called "Fruitvale Station" that's been getting a lot of Oscar buzz lately. 

Take in mind, that none of this is confirmed yet, but lets assume for the sake of argument that it is.  How would you feel about the rocky franchise continuing with a different main character?  What do you think about the idea of a spin off film from rocky?  You think it would work?

1. Rod Marsden profile image77
      Rod Marsdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It may work. I'm not particularly interested in seeing it. There have been a lot of spin offs to the original Rocky film.  The first couple did okay. I'd rather see something new and original.

Stevennix2001posted 4 years agoin reply to this

wait wait...there's been spin offs of rocky before?  I've been a rocky fan my whole life, and I never knew that.  Can you please share with me the names of these alleged spin offs, so I can see them.  I would be most grateful if you did.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image99
          FatFreddysCatposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think by "spinoffs" he means the  sequels...

Yeah, I just figured that out with his reply.  I guess me and him have different interpretations on what a spin off is.

2. Rod Marsden profile image77

Rocky, Rocky II (1979), Rocky III (1982), Rocky IV (1984), Rocky V (1990), Rocky Balboa (2006).

Oh okay.  Never mind, I have seen all those movies before. I just got confused because you said they were spin offs, even though they're actually sequels.  I guess to you, you think they mean the same thing.  However, I disagree with that.  To me, a sequel is a continuation of a story.  Whereas a spin off, it takes place within the same universe of the previous film, but it focuses on another character or a different element to the story.  Something like Elektra or Supergirl would be more of what i would consider a spin off rather than a sequel.

1. Rod Marsden profile image77

Yes, well, a spin-off to me is anything that cashes in on a popular film.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I was burned out on Rocky by the third film... A spin off seems pretty pointless all these years later.

3. Stevennix2001 profile image92
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

anyone else got anything to add to this?

working