jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Rock Vocals

1. HubPages profile image
    HubPagesposted 8 years ago

Rock Vocals

2. Never Everly profile image58
    Never Everlyposted 8 years ago

Rock vocals come in all different tones and techniques but most contain one or both of the styles known as heat and scream. Heat can be described as the sound you make when you breathe out to fog up a window and is added to vocals to make a more breathy type of sound. Screaming is sort of a raspy or grating sound used by singers from screamo to metal. The sounds range from low growls to high squeals and everything in between. Both of these vocal techniques can be dangerous when not used right or with some sort of training. There are many videos and a few professionally made DVD's just on the subject of rock style vocals for your viewing pleasure all over the web.

3. WILL I profile image57
    WILL Iposted 8 years ago

The spectrum of vocals is so vast that one couldn’t begin to account for the ranges. Everything from the group heart with their sultry, seductive,and luring style to ac/dc and their throaty bellows from somewhere that only a handful of even the most seasoned artists could begin to attain. You now have groups that endanger their very verbal existence with songs like "let the bodies hit the floor Conversely, the group Creed who manages to smoothly get their point across without throwing up their lungs,thorax,and all the rest of their speaking utensils. I wouldn’t presume to criticize any of the aforementioned bands because I have a pure love for each and every one of them, although I am of the 70's generation we were not without our artists of anarchy. There were individuals such as Janis Joplin, Joe cocker, and last but not least the irrepressible James Brown. They always say things are cyclical and I see and live this circle and I am very happy to have lived to see the changes and the stay sameness.

4. Chuck RitenouR profile image73
    Chuck RitenouRposted 7 years ago

What makes a great rock vocalist? Is it the length of his (her) hair? Is it the tightness of his (her) pants? Is it his (her) body features, flat stomach and great muscle tone? Is it his (her) facial features, his (her) eyes, lips, nose and smile? Is it the way he (she) poses and pouts during the instrumental solos? Is it the quality of his (her) musicianship and that of his (her) band members? Is it the power of his (her) vocals? Is it the sound equipment and recording equipment and the expertise of the technicians operating that equipment?
    The answer to the above is yes to all of it to a point, but it is a very important point. Having all the above is usless, if you can not sing on pitch!!!

working