jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think of screamy music??

1. abichats profile image54
    abichatsposted 8 years ago

What do you think of screamy music??

2. FridgeWheeL profile image68
    FridgeWheeLposted 8 years ago

Screamo is not very high on the commercial listeners list, but you do get communities out there that follow Screamo style music religiously. I am not completely a big fan of it myself but have gone down a road where i started listening to certain melodic screamo bands such as KSE (Kill Switch Engage) that hooked me to their style. I learned that screamo isn't just someone thats trying to scream angry etc etc... allthough you do get the odd ones out, but screamo is an art. If you are a vocalist, and you try to do screamo for the 1st time you will find it alot harder than you thought. There are professional DVD's of instructors that can help you to master the art without having to remove your vocal chords 6 months later.

In my time of listening to KSE, i have learned to respect the style, even though I'm not completely fond of it. It's the same principal as rock vs jazz, i love rock, but not a big fan of jazz, but as being a musician myself I know that a jazz musician is extremely good in what he does, so I respect them completely and praise them for they do.

But yeh, that's just my opinion. smile

Keep Well

3. animekid profile image73
    animekidposted 7 years ago

I agree with you. At 52 years of Metal Age, I still do not get the attraction of bands that have singers who " Cannot Sing " but just growl into their microphones.

4. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 7 years ago

It's not that they "can't sing." In fact, you really have to know how to sing to be able to scream in the first place. It's not something you just do. If you "just do it" you're asking to tear up your vocal chords. And trust me, that hurts. I know from personal experience. It is a very different art form. It requires a lot more work than singing does. Yeah, some bands just don't cut the screaming act, but hey, when you hear the right ones, it's amazing.

5. AGBarteck profile image60
    AGBarteckposted 6 years ago

do you mean screamo screaming or heavy metal screaming?  I don't much like screamo.  At all. Ever.  But I'll appreciate or even horns UP a good heavy metal scream, specially if it's a good clean tone, high, and at least two measures long.

and I do believe I'd give the title of "metal" to Killswitch any day before I ever think about calling them screamo.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I'm an old goat so my rule of thumb is this: I can't stand growling/screaming vocals. I can't tell you how many bands I've heard that sound great till the vocalist opens his (or her) mouth and goes WOOOOOARRRRRRGH. As soon as I hear that, I'm like "Check please!"

7. renee21 profile image82
    renee21posted 4 years ago

I dislike any type of music that has screaming in it.  I prefer Christian, classical, and some country.

working