jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Did Johnnie cash have Indian Heritage?

1. dahoglund profile image80
    dahoglundposted 7 years ago

Did Johnnie cash have Indian Heritage?

On the album liner notes of "Bitter Tears" the LP, states that he is proud of his,as I recall, Cherokee heritage. In a recent artical in smithsoian magazine in referring to the album, says he is not of Native American Heritage.

Does anyone know who is right and why the contradiction.

2. wilbury4 profile image70
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

His features suggest that there is possibility of such heritage....

3. ahorseback profile image77
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Good ole DNA ,  huh,  Its amazing how much dna stuff is changing the "face " of  ethic identity. Indian , african , european  it seems we all are related  in the new dna days?  No? He sure looked the part though, a lot of cherkee indian out there in a society that surrounds the area of the tribes. I guess you could call it the final assimilation , like it or not. Here , we have abinaki , penobscot , peqot .....On and on. Good question .

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

http://heritage.scotsman.com/people/Cel … 2781119.jp

This link talks about his paternal heritage from Scotland. Many Celtic peoples have high checkbones as do many First Nations/Native Americans. If he at one time thought that he had Native American heritage, perhaps it was on his mother's side?

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Who knows, who cares, it's what people do that is important, not their pedigree.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I would imagine that he had some Native American blood, most of us "white people" do, if our families have been here in the states for long.  I doubt Johnny Cash, however, had enough Native American blood to ever claim to be an American Indian.

7. ndnfoodie530 profile image61
    ndnfoodie530posted 7 years ago

It's important to remember that one cannot equate high cheekbones, or other physical features with having American Indian ancestry.

C'mon folks, it's 2011.

Ahem....

Anyhow, the short answer to this question is no.

The Cash Family, nor any sovereign American Indian nation has ever established a credible link.

working