jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How many people go to Comedy clubs? And, what would you like to see while you ar

1. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

How many people go to Comedy clubs? And, what would you like to see while you are there.?

I'm thinking of possibly becoming a stand up comic, and, I have been to a few clubs, and have seen some really good, and not so good acts.

Most of the acts feature female impersonators. I'm just curious how the average person feels about men doing comedy in drag. Do you think it would be something you would wan tot see? I really don't want to do comedy in a dress, but if that would make it funny, or make me stand out. I would certainly like to give it a try.

2. bogerk profile image68
    bogerkposted 7 years ago

Gimmicks usually aren't that funny to me. I like comedy based on reality, you know, the Jerry Seinfeld type jokes.

But, I don't know of any comedians that wear drag as part of their act, so, you would be original and if you found an audience it could take off.

3. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

Actually bogerk, there are hundreds of drag comedians around.
    That is part of the problem. However, I would think that for every one drag comedian, there must be 200 regular comics.

I sent an email to someone I know who does it for a living, but I haven't heard anything back yet. But, I know that he certainly travels a lot, and does shows in various cities all over the midwest. I guess he must be getting something to do that.

If you want to see some sick drag, look up Jackie Beat on Youtube. He sings parody songs in drag. But, the songs are for adult ears only....and, it's pretty bad. But, funny.

4. Matt in Jax profile image69
    Matt in Jaxposted 6 years ago

I don't know if I would be a fan of a male comedian in drag. I tend to like the George Carlin or Chris Rock -style of comedian, but Eddie Izzard proves that you can throw on some make up and go out there and be funny. Perhaps study his act and make it your own by doing your own jokes in your own style?

5. RachaelLefler profile image97
    RachaelLeflerposted 6 years ago

I think if you're comfortable with drag, do it. If not, don't. I like people who's comedy comes from a real personal experience, not a lot of crazy gimmicky shobiz stuff. Just go on stage as you.

working