jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)

Need Help Wedding Reception Music

1. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 8 years ago

I am going to be performing at a wedding in the near future and I a have a bit of an issue with music selections. For the first time I will be entertaining at a mixed marriage and I have been informed the majority of guests (about 70%) will be of the bride’s family and black. 

Please do not jump to any racist conclusions, I have no issues with this or playing or to anyone being black, yellow, purple, or cookie monster, but I do understand there are differences in cultural background, musical taste and for that matter tradition/s.

Any input would be helpful so I can provide 4 to 6 hours of specialized entertainment tailored for the Bride & Groom and their Guests.

I have been instructed: No Gangsta or Heavy Rap, light on the Gospel but pretty much anything else 50’s to present day.

Any suggestions, Song & artist or a particular tradition or wedding dance would be gratefully appreciated.

1. livewithrichard profile image84
      livewithrichardposted 8 years ago in reply to this
        readytoescapeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

God thats just bad. Funny but bad.

I know it was suppossed to be touching, cough.

1. livewithrichard profile image84
            livewithrichardposted 8 years ago in reply to this

lol probably not the best choice... have you heard of a song called Jump the Broom... its light and jazzy and was played at one of my friends wedding.  Everyone there seemed to like it, but not sure how it would sound being played by a white performer.

I can spin it, I provide what the client wants not just what I can perform. Who is the Artist?

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 8 years ago

If I had a wedding reception (yep i didn't have one...sad huh?) I would love to have heard Lifehouse-You and Me and Lonestar-Amazed.

Sorry ...Could have done Amazed for ya...didnt get an invitation

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It's not your fault...I got married in Hawaii since my husband was leaving for 6 months and I need the benefits and everything since I'm on an island by myself. So not a lot of ppl could go so no reception.

That just means you are still enetitled to one. Send me plane tickets I 'll be there.

3. readytoescape profile image61

Entourage included of course.....

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 8 years ago

lol maybe one day in the future but for now...just have to be happy with what I did get...a wedding with my brother, and his boyfriend and parents and godparents out in Hawaii the only few that could go and a dinner at a nice hotel. then again in December we remarried getting it blessed in the church with again a dinner with some family not all and some best friends. sadly none of my husband's family could come.

but yes in the future my husband has told me time and again that he promises to give me a real wedding reception. he's so cute lol

good luck on finding good songs for the wedding you are going to.

5. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Ask WeddingConsultant smile

Thank you Misha that was quite helpful

1. Misha profile image74
        Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

At your service. smile

His profile is here: http://hubpages.com/profile/WeddingConsultant

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Duh me lol I should have said that

1. Misha profile image74
        Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Got ya too, right? wink

6. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 8 years ago

When in doubt, ask the couple. If they give you this much leeway, that means they trust your own judgment, so don't sweat it too much. Just remember that you're playing music for people, rather than ethnic stereotypes, to enjoy.

And Gangsta rap at a wedding is rather inappropriate.

I have that part. A yes I was quite happy with the No gangata rap instruction. However wedding celebrations are different etnicity, Greek, Italian, Jewish all differ and have differnt traditons. I know those, dont know if I'm missing something from a Black southern wedding. Which is I am sure considerably different than a redneck one. I have performed at all but this type.

7. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

You might want to talk to the Bride and Groom to-be again.

For Wedding Reception music, everyone needs to be catered for, from the 1 year olds who just nod their heads to music - to the 60 year olds who still like to break-dance.

I wonder if it would be possible for her to contact some people and ask what they would like to listen to or maybe she could give you some contact numbers of guests to call. That might help prepare you.  Just a suggestion.....

Good Luck.

8. readytoescape profile image61

Any Music Suggestions?

9. readytoescape profile image61

Any Other music ot tradition suggestions?

working