jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Who is the most influential guitarist in current music?

1. HumanPerception profile image93
    HumanPerceptionposted 7 years ago

Who is the most influential guitarist in current music?

2. tony0724 profile image58
    tony0724posted 7 years ago

Easiest question ever to answer. Jimi Hendrix of course ! There have been a ton of great guitar players throughout the years but when the question of guitar greats comes up he is the first name on to be mentioned at any time. He is the yardstick by which all guitarists are measured. Case closed !

3. Freethinker79 profile image61
    Freethinker79posted 7 years ago

Id say slash from guns n roses. in my opinion.

4. yiasa profile image59
    yiasaposted 7 years ago

To me that would be Alexi Laiho. But I think people really follow Slash.

5. Roger Rabbit profile image60
    Roger Rabbitposted 7 years ago

That is a tough question, I cannot say that I've listened to all current music and influence is a bit of a relevant term. If i had to guess I'd say A mix between the first two answers because people want to be like Jimi Hendrix but they all sound like Slash.

6. weezy1c profile image57
    weezy1cposted 7 years ago

When I first saw the question,my first thought was Chet Atkins,Chuck Berry,B.B.King,and Dwayne Eddie.Jimi Hendrix and Slash,yes,but I don't really listen to them.

7. gravitybomb87 profile image55
    gravitybomb87posted 7 years ago

It's hard to say for current music, since the guitar doesn't have the same role now that it did in the heyday of rock 'n' roll, but I would definitely say that Slash has been one of the most important guitarists in the past 20 years.

While Hendrix was an incredibly important guitarist for his experimentation with the sonic capabilities of the instrument, I think Duane Allman was one of the more influential guitarists.  He set the standard for studio guitar playing while he worked with all the soul singers like Aretha and Wilson Pickett.

8. lukecore profile image83
    lukecoreposted 7 years ago

Since you asked about current music I had a bit of a thought - I think Noel Gallagher has been quite influential. He gets called a Beatles copyist but his style has been very influential on the Indie scene in the last 15 years.

Also Kurt Cobain - when the current generation of young bands first picked up guitars I'm be willing to bet that a lot of them started out playing Nirvana songs - I know I did!

working