jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Best guitarist of all time?

1. skisy profile image82
    skisyposted 7 years ago

Best guitarist of all time?

Who do you think the best guitars of all time (well so far) is?

2. tmckim profile image58
    tmckimposted 7 years ago

John Petrucci is the best guitar player ever.

3. profile image0
    Fiddlemanposted 7 years ago

I suppose it would come down the genre but I have always thought Chet Atkins was the best in Country and Doc Watson on acoustic blues.

4. justom profile image69
    justomposted 7 years ago

This question is so subjective. Everybody has someone they think is the best. As for electric rock and roll there is Jimi Hendrix then everybody else IMO. Fiddleman thinks Doc Watson was the best acoustic blues guitarist but probably forgot without Robert Johnson Doc would have nothing to learn from. Just my opinion and we all know what that get you :-P

5. skisy profile image82
    skisyposted 7 years ago

@justom Yup, not looking for a definitive answer (as there is none), just looking for people's opinions. smile

6. gravitybomb87 profile image54
    gravitybomb87posted 7 years ago

Personally, Duane Allman is my favorite guitarist.  While he doesn't play particularly fast, he's got a great sound, and he really knows how to make a solo sound melodic.  The Allman Brothers Band has been my favorite group for a long time.

I also like Son House's style of delta blues, and while I don't care too much for Jimmy Page's soloing, he's got the best sound you can get when it comes to riffs and rhythm guitar.

7. lukecore profile image84
    lukecoreposted 7 years ago

I'm a big fan of Hendrix, I can't think of anyone who played with so much soul. Clapton, Harrison and Page are great but Hendrix was the best.

Never been a fan of the shredders: I can appreciate that Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and the like are excellent musicians, but I can't say I care for their music.

As for more recent guitarists I think the best I've seen live are Jack White, Francis Dunnery and Carrie Brownstein. Jack White is like a modern Jimmy Page, Francis Dunnery is fantastically gifted and Carrie Brownstein has an awesome style.

8. amymarie_5 profile image85
    amymarie_5posted 7 years ago

Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Eddie Van Halen are my favs.

9. Matt in Jax profile image68
    Matt in Jaxposted 7 years ago

Jimi Hendrix without a doubt is my favorite. Santana is high up there on my list as well though next to Edie.

10. TinaTango profile image67
    TinaTangoposted 7 years ago

Jimi Hendrix hands down is by far the best guitarist of all time.

11. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 7 years ago

i've just discovered joe bonnamassa who is awesome and up and coming and is just wonderful live. takes after eric clapton and is not real chatty . just does set after set. bb king who admittedly can't sing and play at the same time is an icon you don't wanna miss in concert, and eric clapton who is totally humble and just appears on stage in dockers and hush puppies. says thank you alot and plays set after set. there is never disappointment.

working