jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the effect of movies ?

1. maria.rose profile image36
    maria.roseposted 7 years ago

What is the effect of movies ?

what is the effect of movies ?on youth. is it good or bad.

2. I_Lurk_ThoseCells profile image37
    I_Lurk_ThoseCellsposted 7 years ago

I believe it is in general a good thing, although for some movies kids need explanation of grownups to explain them some things , what is real and what is not, what is important and what is to be avoid.
    The only thing that lacks is that movies don't have descriptive value in comparison to books and kids in high percentage miss the real value of represented character/s.
    Also there are a categories of movie and various types of productions. You quite can't put together entertaining genre of romantic comedies and action fantasies and film noir and historical documentaries.

3. profile image0
    Ruach Eishposted 7 years ago

For me I always feel completely disconnected with reality after Ive seen a film, I get completely lost in them - that's bad because it does funny things to my head, my perception and my thoughts immediately afterwards.

4. profile image0
    marellenposted 7 years ago

For me I go for the entertainment....its always fun to laugh. But if a movie has a good moral to the story, that is good too. No blood and gore for me.

5. mporter profile image59
    mporterposted 7 years ago

Film in general has changed the way we perceive all media.  Theatre of the last 50 years increasingly uses short bursts of dialogue and action for "Scenes" and shies away from longer-form "Acts".  Books, as well, have found success with shorter chapters and sentences (See Kundera and Palahniuk...wow, never thought I'd put them in the same sentence).

So, generally speaking, film sets up media for the youth as a fast-paced, low-attention-requirement experience and makes the longer, more meandering meditations on life once so prominent in art (Proust, Joyce, James, Melville etc...) a rarity.  If we take cues from our experiences with art as signifiers of "the way life is lived", then in general the youth will be taught that life happens in short bursts.  Taking this perhaps further than I have a right to, this would suggest that everyday slow periods of life, so valuable for meditation on oneself and the world becomes perceived as just that thing that happens between real "events", and thus the antithesis of "real" lived life.  Obviously this is terribly opposed to the reality of life, which will make itself apparent, though perhaps still unrecognized, or recognized only as an obstacle, in a series of collisions with perceived life.  This is why the premise of novels like Joyce's "Ulysses" are so strange to people, yet so important.

This is not to say I don't enjoy films quite a lot, or that good films don't deserve our appreciation, and I certainly don't mean to say that film is incapable of dealing with the nature of life in a slow, meditative way.  It's just important that we are aware of the way we interact with media as we are engaging with it.  So the question seems to be less "what is the effect?", but more "in what context are the youth taught to engage with movies?" and the answer to the original question will follow implicitly.

working