jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What makes for a good horror movie?

1. tritrain profile image83
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

What makes for a good horror movie?

2. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

I would say good character development is crucial.  That seems to be lacking in horror movies lately.  I personally do not care who gets butchered in most of the horror movies, and that is not how I should feel as an audience member. 

I also think great special effects are important.  The effects should either be very well done, or they should be subtle.  If I don't believe what I am seeing, it ruins the whole movie.

The plot should also be new and well-written.  I am tired of seeing the same old ideas or constant remakes.  I want to see something original.

Most of all, I want to be scared.  I want to have nightmares after I've seen a scary movie.  If I walk out of the theater laughing, that was not a good horror movie.

3. Lady MJ profile image76
    Lady MJposted 6 years ago

Anything with creepy children. Scares the (bleep) out of me.

4. jaclyn8668 profile image60
    jaclyn8668posted 6 years ago

anything that has to do with people being posessed or demons!

5. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 6 years ago

After watching, and you could no longer sleep alone as usual.

6. Torch Harrison profile image83
    Torch Harrisonposted 6 years ago

a)  Don't show EVERYTHING in graphic detail!  Imagination can come up with things far more horrific than anything shown on screen!  Don't believe that?  Watch "the Blair Witch Project" again.

b)  Intelligent characters.  I get soooooo tired of seeing the 'stupid little woman scared out of her wits and unable to do anything to help herself' senario!

c)  Killer who looks and acts like an everyday person until he's challenged.  I know, we've all seen Freddy Krueger and Jason...but having a person who looks and appears normal on the hunt is far more frightening.  Look at "Old Country For Old Men", which isn't a horror film per se, but is darn scary.

d)  Killings that are unthinkable.  That is what made "Old Country For Old Men" scary for me as well as "Saw".

7. Nrjsh profile image66
    Nrjshposted 6 years ago

Good camera work and a nice story which don't looses its grip until the final climax.

8. the-real-deal? profile image76
    the-real-deal?posted 6 years ago

you definately have to have suspense, shock factor, unpredictable but not ridiculous twists and of course, undertones of a sexual nature always keep you off guard......and blood