jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you thinks Sylvester Stallone should've kept Adrian in Rocky Balboa?

1. TheLANDLADY profile image57
    TheLANDLADYposted 6 years ago

Do you thinks Sylvester Stallone should've kept Adrian in Rocky Balboa?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4903064_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Tina Trueloveposted 6 years ago

I kind of wish he had kept her in there.  I was disappointed to find out that she had died in the last movie, but then . . . those things happen so I guess he kept it realistic.  Still though . . . personally . . . I think I would have liked it better if she had been in the movie.

3. TheLANDLADY profile image57
    TheLANDLADYposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4903096_f260.jpg

I also agree with you Tina! I loved the character Adrianna to death, she was a real asset to the movies. Like you said though, he was trying to be realistic...but Adrian should've stayed in the movie! I adored her character! I am a giant Talia Shire fan!

4. M A Williams profile image72
    M A Williamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4878628_f260.jpg

I missed Adrian in Rocky Balboa, but she casts an even bigger shadow over the movie in death than she could have in life. The anger and sorrow Rocky feels over he death drives the whole movie and you can really feel the emotion. It's probably just what the franchise needed to bring it down to earth after a few emotionally light sequels.

Adrian had such a great ark through the series, as her character evolved. In a way that continued in Rocky Balboa because of the hole she left in the lives of her family. The Adrian in Rocky (1979) could never have done that.

5. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image82
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 6 years ago

@TheLANDLADY...No. The story revolved around Rocky and his grown trying to connect, and Rocky adjusting to his own life without Adrian.

1. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image82
      Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 23 months agoin reply to this

my comments should have read "his grown son trying to connect"...

6. Stevennix2001 profile image92
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

Honestly, I don't even think there should've been another rocky film period.  However, in context to the story, I think it turned out way better than a lot of people expected; including me.  I think in the end, writing her off in the film only helped make Rocky Balboa more sympathetic in the last movie.  Giving him more of an emotional hurdle to overcome, as they made it obvious that his son was already moving on, or trying to, without him.  His wife is dead, so all he has left is memories of his past that bring him joy, but also sadness from how he knows that he'll never see her again.  I think it works better for the story versus if they would've kept her alive, and he just wanted to come out of retirement for the pure hell of it.  That would've been moronically stupid and cliched.  No, I think writing off the character, while giving Rocky another emotional hurdle to over come, only gives the movie a lot more emotional weight that was missing in the last two films. 

Although in hindsight, I think they could've wrote her in the beginning of the film, then have her die like halfway or twenty minutes into the movie to add dramatic effect, but that's just me.

working