jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why someone believes when you say there are 4 billion stars, but check when you

1. How? profile image37
    How?posted 6 years ago

Why someone believes when you say there are 4 billion stars, but check when you say - paint is wet?

2. leni sands profile image76
    leni sandsposted 6 years ago

hmmm - you can't count the stars but you can touch the paint, lol.  What amazes me even more is that they don't read notices...how many bums sat on the park bench after it was painted could be seen around the park - one of them even moved the sign!?!

3. Adsparty profile image55
    Adspartyposted 6 years ago

People are more likely to trust what you say if it will be hard to disprove you. I believe when people say the paint is wet. There's no need to risk getting paint on myself.

4. nifty@50 profile image74
    nifty@50posted 6 years ago

Who's got time to count 4 billion stars? I don't, so when Carl Saigon said " Billions & Billions" I took him at his word. The wet paint sign refers to being wet at the time the sign was written & I don't have any idea when that was. So sometime before the sign comes off it will most certainly be dry, why not check?

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image99
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

People distrust other people on an individual level either because they've been lied to by that person before, are unfamiliar with that person's level of honesty, and sometimes because they do not trust their own selves - and this is a form of what is called a "guilty conscious."

So far as Mass media is concerned. . ..if someone on television tells me that a Corvette is a fast car, I then have to wonder if I might travel faster on my bicycle.

6. sir_tallest profile image63
    sir_tallestposted 6 years ago

the paint is closer and easier to verify but the stars are far high and too many to count.....so anyone who had time and strenght to count up to 4 billion stars should be believed

7. Kaniel Loughran profile image57
    Kaniel Loughranposted 6 years ago

It's that innate curiosity that says, "it's been two days, there is no possible way that wet paint sign is still correct," despite the fact that the white sheen reflecting off the paint indicates a wet coat. So, you try it... And wouldn't you know it? It's wet! But you shouldn't believe anything without empirical evidence, considering the universe's star count, where our galaxy alone contains upwards of 400 billion stars, in a universe of an estimate 125 billion galaxies, you find yourself calculating a rough star count of 300 sextillion, or 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars (just over 4 billion). I guess it just boils down to the fact that it's a lot easier to test paint with a finger than the universal star count with a telescope and a calculator.