jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How many of you ever saw the Movie Mommy Dearest.. ? Joan Crawford....

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image83
    Darknlovely3436posted 6 years ago

How many of you ever saw the Movie Mommy Dearest.. ? Joan Crawford....

That movie protagonist... Madness, hate and child abuse, and nothing close to
    to being a loving mother,

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image81
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

I watched it once, couldn't watch it again....it was much to hard and you are right nothing close to being a loving mother.

3. ginjill ashberry profile image76
    ginjill ashberryposted 6 years ago

Not my kind of movie. The title are deceiving if you hadn't bothered to read or watch the preview. Lets hope there is a lot less similar cases like it.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Read the book first, and maybe saw parts of the movie.  Very sad story for the kids involved.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

I read the book before seeing the movie.  I thought the movie was EXTREMELY poorly done!  I understand Christina Crawford herself refused to see it for that reason.  It's sad that Faye Dunaway's career was ruined with this monstrosity.
    Christina Crawford has made it her life work to speak out against victims of hidden child abuse.  She has written several books.  She currently operates a Bed & Breakfast in Northern Idaho, and has released a 30th Anniversary issue of "Mommie Dearest", which includes a Forward section where several of John Crawford's contemporaries speak in defense of Christina, and where she adds several more photographs and pages of her life as an adult.
    I haven't been able to get hold of the 30th Anniversary edition, but am currently re-reading the original.  I now have new insight as to how victims of child abuse are affected in adulthood, and why they so often pass it on.  Christina made up her mind early never to have children; that's how she was able to stop the generational progression with herself.