jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What have you seen or heard that impacted you the most?

1. iviskei profile image76
    iviskeiposted 6 years ago

What have you seen or heard that impacted you the most?

I saw something on a show once, where the character was painting on a canvas, and always told to stay inside the frame. It was a metaphor of his life. He was constantly told to be better than his brothers and such, but once he was able to get over that, he was shown painting far beyond the canvas. The image was a large and colorful flower. I think this impacted me the most.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5437045_f260.jpg

2. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Of all the things.............

devastions.........by fire, flood, market losses, storms, wreckage on the hiways, stopping MILES of traffic, airport clousers, dust storms, ice storms, mud slides, avalances............programs hilighting the hungry, the despearate, the desitue, birth, death and rebirth..................

There is a single afternoon encounter that  I can not  get out of my mind.........

Working for an industrial wholesale supplier.........it was a very hectic day.....factories were broken down, production lines were at a standstill, it was chaoise..........and our 'delivery driver' could not keep up.   
    The office people could not break for lunch.

I was hungry.

The call came in at about 3pm............it was urgent.......

yes, I would take my personal vehicle, deliver the parts, IF only, I would be allowed to get a fast food sandwhich to curb my hunger while I was out.  "sure", I would bring some    fries, and tots back............

As, I neared the delivery driveway...........there were fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances..................THEN I saw, knew and understood...............

a child
    was being
    placed

in a " body bag".

I saw the details..........

the mother in me cried out.........

It was three days later, before, I ate again.   I took nothing back to the office.   None of us ate lunch that day, or the next.   It is not known to be what my coworkers  had for dinner or the next days breakfast..............but I had nothing.

20 years laters, this scene, strolls through my memory, with great vividness.

I saw the life of that child end.............in the senseless hiway wreckage..........it could have been my own child..........

It has not changed my driving habits, but it HAS forever, changed how I react to traffic pile ups and congestion..............the scene will not leave me.............

There are body bags, and then there are:

body bags............fitted for children, who do not even drive.

3. profile image0
    Tanmoy Acharyaposted 6 years ago

Hi iviskei.
    For me,what was most impactful happened to be a simple quotation: "and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."

It's from the Bible.

4. Nelly A. profile image74
    Nelly A.posted 6 years ago

When my friends set a date for a night out, I used to tell them, always, that I would be there in the agreed place just to stop them from asking me to come. Most of the times, I wouldn't show up. My best friend got mad and said straight to my face one morning "You don't have a word of honor" and she was crying. Boom! All of a sudden, I CHANGED. :-)

working