jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When is it "too late" to go back to the dance studio?

1. ambassadornchains profile image60
    ambassadornchainsposted 6 years ago

When is it "too late" to go back to the dance studio?

I danced for about 8 years, taking about 5-6 classes a week for 2-3 hours 4-5 days a week.  I've been out of dance for around 5 or 6 years and I long to get back into dancing!  I am going to start back in a couple months, but do you think it's possible to get back to where I was?  I'll only be doing it as a hobby...so maybe one class a week!  Have you had experience with this situation!?

2. fancifulashley profile image77
    fancifulashleyposted 6 years ago

I think that you can start back up at any time. You may not be at the point you were before, but due to muscle memory you should be able to pick things up relatively quickly. I wish you luck!

3. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

Just after they closed down.  smile

4. mitowrite profile image75
    mitowriteposted 6 years ago

I think it's never too late for you to go back. If it makes you happy just to be dancing again, then I say you should do it! Do start slow(once a week at first and then more eventually) and don't push yourself too hard if  you are trying to get back into the routine you had 5 or 6 years ago. You wouldn't want to hurt yourself so bad that you may not be able to keep on dancing. Work hard and I'm sure you'll do great!

5. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

It's never too late to go back - but what standard you can achieve will depend on a lot of things.

The younger you are now, the more chance you have of getting back to where you were.  As you get older, your body loses its ability to bounce back!   Especially if you're doing the more demanding styles of dance like ballet, contemporary or hip hop. 

Don't forget there are many styles of dance,and some are more appropriate for mature women than others.  I danced ballet in my youth but switched as I got older - first to modern jazz, then to flamenco, and now to belly dancing and ballroom.

working