jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why are horror movie remakes failing to live up to the originals?

1. ChinaDoll32BX profile image61
    ChinaDoll32BXposted 6 years ago

Why are horror movie remakes failing to live up to the originals?

We have made so much technical advances since the 80's so why are horror movie remakes failing to live up to the originals? We have seen this happen several times in recent years. With disastrous remakes such as, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Psycho, The Fog, Amityville Horror and so on. Why is this happening?

2. rob_allen profile image82
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

We have a bunch of Horror Films nowadays and they are all predictable. People are no longer excited because they can easily predict what's going to happen next. I guess, this is the reason why most horror film remakes fall short compared to their original counterparts.

One great element that can make a certain horror film appealing to fans is a unique story. A unique kind of scare. If a certain flick failed to deliver what their audience are looking for, it will end up to rot and totally forgotten.

Lastly, always remember that nothing beats the original. smile

3. Ironman1992 profile image59
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

Not just horror movie reboots, but also reboots of all genres, fail to live up to the originals because many filmmakers are just trying to use already popular titles to make quick money. Also, some films are too dependant upon special effects.

4. strkngfang profile image76
    strkngfangposted 5 years ago

It is easier to try and make money off of a past idea instead of coming up with your own.  The original "Halloween" was the original "boogey man" concept.  Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, etc are all just different incarnations of Michael Myers, in my opinion.  Very few movies since have been original, they are all psychopathic stalkers with different names, weapons etc and copies of "Halloween".  Since film makers can no longer scare you, it all about grossing you out like with the torturous "Saw" franchise, which to me is offensive and I wonder why someone would get enjoyment from these???

working