What is the scariest horror movie you ever seen in a movie theater?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (82 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MrMidNightposted 13 years ago

Let the responses commence......

1. profile image0
      MrMidNightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey yourself Ms. Lyrics and yeah right, you had to at least seen one in a theater or on tv.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I swear not one

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But hey, at least my hair is scary

that counts right?

2. Dave Harris profile image68
      Dave Harrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know not all would agree, but I still think The Exorcist

3. destiny357 profile image60
      destiny357posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have seen many and the Exorcist still seemed the scariest to me!

4. bogerk profile image71
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In theaters? I would say The Descent. I'm not old enough to have seen The Exorcist in theaters and most horror movies these days are more comical than terrifying.

5. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the scariest I've seen at the cinema was 'Aliens', maybe that would be strictly speaking classified as Sci-Fi but it had plenty of horror :-)

2. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

HEY YOU

NEVER SEEN A SCARY MOVIE

I SWEAR

TOO CHICKEN

lol

yikes

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not one even on DVD?

2. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too. I still hae nightmares from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  I kid you not.  I was terrified of the child catcher and over forty years later I still get dreams.  Hence - never been to a horror movie.

3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Poltergeist, come on now, that movie is freaky.

1. profile image0

Yes Poltergeist indeed is a freaky movie, especially when the dad was drinking his liquor and the worm at the bottom of the bottle became possessed and later on he throw up the evil spirit, truly a sick scene, yet entertaining as well....

2. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto - either that or The Exorcist. Race with the Devil also spooked me!

4. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

The Blair witch project, just kidding, it just gave me a big headache.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Hostel

6. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Silver Bullet (yea, years ago) but the movie scared me and when I came out of the theatre, it was night time and the fog was thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face -- just like in the movie.  Maybe that's why it evokes a negative memory.  big_smile

7. AtomicHubPony profile image59
    AtomicHubPonyposted 13 years ago

I don't get scared that often from a movie but I would have to say Paranormal Activity, I couldn't go to bed that night.....but I'm fine now smile<----yea I'm not good at emoticons......

1. AtomicHubPony profile image59
      AtomicHubPonyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

never mind it just popped up..oh well-.-'

1. oscillationatend profile image60
        oscillationatendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TBVL8zSVZWI/AAAAAAAAANo/yJn7MBe0HDc/s400/imgDawn%20of%20the%20dead3.jpg

But, I usually watch movies from the comfort of my bed or couch.

8. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

This will sound silly to the younger ones on here, but my pick would be Jaws!  It was the first scary movie I'd ever seen, and my first time in a cinema, at age 16(honest--it was in the 70's!), so I spent half of the time with my hands over my eyes, lol... lol

Nowadays, I watch these movies all the time, and they don't bother me at all! big_smile

Tammy

1. profile image0

Ahh yes, thanks to all for commenting...

2. Canklefish profile image80
      Canklefishposted 13 years ago

Dressed to Kill... My grandmother took me to see it when I was a kid, and I loved the film. It still holds its suspense even after all these years.

Come to think of it, she took me to see all kinds of cool flicks

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exorcist

I thought I was a christian for a few months there, then this Movie scared the hell out of me.

The Living Dead as a kid

3. Megavitamin profile image70
      Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

I watched The Shining in class on a big screen and I kept turning around and looking at the horrified faces.  It's not blood/guts scary, just psychologically creepy.

I also saw the original Halloween in a theater on Halloween a few years ago, and it was way more terrifying than watching it on DVD.  I think movies are scarier when you are stuck in the theater with no escape!

4. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years ago

The Exorcist or It's Alive.  Hard to pick which was scariest.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I don't tend to go see the scary movies in the theater. Wait for them to come on DVD so I can watch in the privacy of home.

Two come to mind:
      1. Blair Witch Project (didn't give me a headache -- was really scary)
      2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre the remake -- fabulous!

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There was no such thing as DVD, HBO, or Showtime when I was yopunger. The theater was where movies were shown.

6. Lexe Charleston profile image55
      Lexe Charlestonposted 13 years ago

I was genuinely scared during certain parts of 28 Days Later. I actually love this movie. Definitely a "smart" horror movie compared to so many others I've seen. Even the part when the military men make it clear that they were going to keep the women captive and rape them--I think that part was scary because it felt like a real possibility, something that some people would resort to doing in that sort of situation. I wish I could have seen Exorcist in theaters. If I had, that probably would've been my first choice.

7. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years ago

In a movie theater? It was the first 'Nightmare on Elm Street'. I've seen scarier movies, of course, but on TV. 'The Blair Witch' scared me most, because I thought it was a real documentary ... it was a kind Hubber who enlightened me, believe it or not.

8. profile image0
      Louis Mascoloposted 13 years ago

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It captured some real insanity in a very realistic setting. I think it was the first of its kind in that genre which had more impact. Production wise, I thought it sucked, but it scared the hell out of me.

9. profile image53
      Baughnenzposted 13 years ago

I saw a scariest movie which is THE EYE.
      http://twitter.com/Vimax_Best

10. profile image0
      Aleister888posted 13 years ago

Well its not a very scary movie, but i recently saw paranormal activity 2 in the cinema, if you have not yet seen it, dont, ever, period.

11. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Because I am a total wimp, I had to turn off Jurassic Park the first time I say it because the T-Rex and velociraptors freaked me out and it is a very loud film.

12. profile image0
      Adam Bposted 13 years ago

I am a horror cinema fan and I try to get out to the theaters to see all of them that come out...well at least the ones that look good and aren't PG-13.  I have probably 70 horror movie review hubs already so if you are interested...check them out.

I would say the scaries horror film I have ever viewed would be "The Excorsist" however, I wasn't old enough to catch that in the theater.  The scariest movie I have seen in a theater would be "Event Horizon," which I didn't think was going to be that scary going in but it was!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Event-Horizon-Movie-Review

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image61
        Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot all about that movie. Yeah, I didn't expect it to be scary either. I can't remember what happened as I only watched in the theater and haven't seen it since, but it was scary.

13. rotl profile image60
      rotlposted 13 years ago

Jaws... I have been scared of sharks ever since.

14. LoveMeter profile image61
      LoveMeterposted 13 years ago

SAW series

finally , the one which i loved the most was

scary movie 1 , 2 ,3 big_smile

15. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm in the never-seen-even-one club (if it's a "club") too.  When I was a kid I used to watch those cornball, old (like 1950's, 1940's - whatever they were) black-and-white "horror" movies on television.  That's it.   I figure, if a movie is well done enough to actually scare me, that's not my idea of a good time; and if it isn't done well enough that it will manage to scare me, that's just an unpleasant movie.   lol  Either way, no interest.  smile  (I do watch Criminal Minds faithfully, though - so I get my weekly dose of "disturbing" that way.  smile  )

16. Shido profile image61
      Shidoposted 13 years ago

Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre..  first/last slasher picture I ever saw on the Big Screen!  Absolutely avoid them now.  Guess you could say Tobe overstepped himself!

17. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

The Changeling - the old one, with George C. Scott.

18. Julie2 profile image59
      Julie2posted 13 years ago

Salem's Lot, ughhhhhhh!  sad

I had nightmares of that kid sitting up in the grave, oh my... I even thought I saw him at my window a couple of times when I was little, Oooh. I needed to sleep with a nightlite.

Sleepaway Camp, was another one that freaked me out.

The end when she gets up and you see her body- half man half woman looking all crazy with her eyes bugging out and her hair a mess, I swore I saw her at the foot of my bed back then too. Oh tears just came to my eyes. Mmm mmm mmm. Woo, made me shudder just thinking about it!

I am such a wuss in the dark... It's because of movies like this that I still sleep with a nightlite! lol

19. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years ago

Easy " The Exorcist " followed closely by " Jaws" and " Alien "

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agree on all 3! The Exorcist was shut your eyes and turn your head scary.

Scream was scary.

2. Julie2 profile image59
        Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

tony0724, I will get in a pool any day but I will not go into open water, like the ocean because of jaws. I won't even swim in a pond or a lake. I won't even go on a cruise, thats how bad it is! lol

1. tony0724 profile image60
          tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So I guess the fishing trip is out ? smile

1. Julie2 profile image59

Eghhhhhhh! ? No No No fishing for me hun! smile

1. habee profile image93

What's really fun is to be in the ocean about waist deep, fishing. when you hook something big, you always wonder if it's a shark. Even more fun, beach seining at night in the ocean. The end man is out about chest deep. I've only had this position once or twice, and I didn't like it! Too many big critters passing by you and hitting the net.

Ahhhh habee stop it! You are terrible... I just had chills go up my spine!   sad

2. habee profile image93

Worried about those sneaky pond sharks, are ya? lol

LEECHES!!!!! Ahhhhhh

20. SuperGal profile image60
      SuperGalposted 13 years ago

The Others with Nicole Kidman - scary stuff.  I've heard that The Exorcist is SCARY, so I'm still too intimated to watch it.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Others - yes.  I saw this when I was a young teenager, opening weekend, was first of my friends to discover the ending and was HORRIFIED!!

21. Marlin 55 profile image69
      Marlin 55posted 13 years ago

The Exorcist, without a doubt. I saw it when it originally came out and I was scared for months after I saw that movie.

22. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Silence of the Lambs and Blair Witch Project.

I loved Silence of the Lamb.

23. Midasfx profile image66
      Midasfxposted 13 years ago

I think " The Exorcism of Emily Rose" was pretty scary. But I dont think i could list only 1 movie to cover all scary movies.

Audition, Ju-On, Ringu, Tomie, Premonition, Carved, and a few others are on the top of my fav list.

I think the Asian horror movies are far scarier then the american ones. ^_^

"Audition " scared the s**t out of me. And I hate to shamelessly plug but I think this forum calls for it !

http://hubpages.com/hub/My-favorite-Scary-Movies

2. tony0724 profile image60

And I guess from your movies you might watch alot of Tartan Video. Me too. Asian horror is pretty good.

I'd rather see the originals then the remakes made in the U.S. I saw the original Ring and The Grudge and it was way worse watching it because I didn't understand the language so it just freaked me out more because I didn't know what to expect. The subtitles didn't help either! LOL

24. wordscribe43 profile image91
      wordscribe43posted 13 years ago

The Ring... almost pooped in my pants.

Haha - agree! I remember my friend and I went and saw this after taking the PSAT's in high school.  It was the middle of the afternoon (Thank God or I would have been terrified in the dark), and for the next week, whenever anyone (friends or family) wanted to rent a movie, I refused ...

I'm better now tongue

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
          wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember I couldn't sleep that night, nor could I be alone.  I actually regretted seeing it!  I have seen it since, and was still scared, but I could handle it.

LOL same.

25. Alixander profile image60
      Alixanderposted 13 years ago

Horror is my favorite genre of movie to watch, and I find the attempts at the 'best way to scare an audience' hilarious!

I can say though that one movie did quite well get to me. I watched The Blair Witch project when I was younger. When it first came out my parents didn't let me watch it; for good reason. But the night they watched it I was laying in the living room listening to all the freaky sounds emanating from their room, and had problems sleeping even then.

A year or two later I dared to watch it. A mistake, as I couldn't sleep for a good long while after, and certainly after hearing that it was based on a true story.

@_@;

26. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'm not a fan of horror movies to begin with...but I did see Pet Cemetery in the theater.  Never Again!!!  Uh-Uh.  No way.  I'll never look at it again, never, ever, ever!!

The book was totally scary. The movie ehhh it was OK.But the Ramones were in the soundtrack so that alone made me like the movie.

1. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A book too??  I suppose, it was Stephen King, wasn't it?  I'm stayin away from the book, too!!

2. Julie2 profile image59

tony0724 the book is way better than the movie... Yes Rafini it is by Stephen King. You would so love the book.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
            KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree too.  I read "Pet Cemetary" before the movie came out and was disappointed with the movie.

The only thing that was disturbing from the movie was the little boy coming back telling his dad, "I want to play with you daddy!" With that little sqeaky voice. ughh

27. Don Ship profile image74
      Don Shipposted 13 years ago

Orphan was amazing. Grudge, the first part was okay too! big_smile

28. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I watched the "Texas chainsaw massacres" in a drive-in the first time it opened in the 70's.
      It scared me so bad that i still can't stand to hear a chainsaw start up! yikes

29. kereeves3 profile image79
      kereeves3posted 13 years ago

SAW!!  Scared the crap out of me!  My roommate and I had to sleep in the same bed that night because we were both so scared.  I don't do well with clowns AT ALL, or dark closets with eyes poking through!

True story : Me and a couple of my neighbors were out on a Friday night lookin for a movie to rent and could not find anything we liked. We rented " Saw " for lack of anything better. All of us were on the edge of our seats with our jaws on the floor while watching it. In my hub on my 10 favorite scary movies it made the list. The first one was awesome. All the sequels have been pathetic and predictable.

30. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

The Exorcist

31. guy1973 profile image55
      guy1973posted 13 years ago

I guest the scariest horror movies that really made me scared was ''the revenge of Freddy'' i was little and i wanted to watch it. i was so insistent with my aunt to let me watch it and she let me watch to teach me a good lesson, and lesson i learned, i didnt sleep to 4 days and had nightmare.now i'm a movie fanatic, but horror movies are not my thing, i guest i dont see the point of scaring my self by watching a movie when i can watch a very nice comedy and laugh and enjoying my self.

32. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

"Carrie" back in the 70s.

"Paranormal Activity" is my kind of scary movie.  I haven't seen "Paranormal Activity 2" yet.

Funny enough, I saw "The Blair Witch Project" for the first time last week.  It was better than I expected it to be with years of hype and poking fun at it.

33. brimancandy profile image76
      brimancandyposted 13 years ago

The scariest movie I have ever seen in a movie theater would have to be Aliens. I think the first time I saw that movie, you almost had to pry my hands off the armrest when it was over. It just had so much of an icky factor to it, I could almost feel myself being surrounded by those nasty bastards. And, those things that jump on your face...god! I had alien nightmares for days after seeing it.

Another one was Jurrassic Park. The whole movie wasn't that scary, but, it sure started getting nasty toward the end. Especially, when the arm falls on Laura Dern, and there is not a person attached to it, and the raptor attacks her. Not scary but certainly intense.

I don't really care for slasher flicks. The very first horror flick I saw was Carrie, that was pretty bad. I saw Burnt Offerings when I was 11 years old, and that used to freak me out. The Omen movies also used to give me the creeps.

But, for some reason, I always enjoyed the Freddy Kruger movies, they actually made me laugh. But, I did not like the Jason movies, I thought the Halloween films were just stupid.

Can't think of anything else. I mostly watch Comedies and science fiction. Don't really care for the rest. Avatar was really good though. Oh yeah, and Terminator one and two were really good!

34. thirdmillenium profile image61
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Old timers might remember the Hammers production of Dracula movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. The very first one was really blood-curdling

35. Julie2 profile image59
      Julie2posted 13 years ago

The most recent ones that have been ughhhh, to see at the movies have been all of the SAW movies.

36. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

THE EXORCIST-there was no other horror movie like it in the past, present, nor probably the future.   That demonic face- oh myyyyyyyyy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)