jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think actors are stereotyped for the roles they play?

1. buckey777 profile image72
    buckey777posted 5 years ago

Do you think actors are stereotyped for the roles they play?

It seems to me when you see an actor/actress they pretty much play the same sort of role in most any movie and you can pretty much assume what the movie is about. Are there any good actors out there with a broad spectrum of roles?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago

If ... Looks ... were the Index of a Person ... It would have been possible, to have Stereotyped ... or non-stereotype Actors ...

For Actors ... are cast in certain Roles, for Commercial reasons ... Mainly, people Associating certain Actions with Certain Players ...
    Indiana Jones,
    James Kirk and James Bond ... are Actors Mimicking the Person, in a Role ...
    People "pay" to watch Marilyn Monroe ... not the real Norma Jean Baker ...

You may be surprised ... but the Truth is ...
    That Actors "do not" have a personality, they could call their "Own" ...
    They hang on to sanity ... by Anchoring their lot to some person ... who could be their wife ... kids ... or acquaintence !

The Broad Spectrumming of Roles ... who is fit and who is unfit .... commercially ... to play the Role ... is with the Director and Producers ... not with the Actor.

3. ssmith1534 profile image74
    ssmith1534posted 5 years ago

I think Denzel Washington has played a variety of roles, but I do agree that actors and actresses mostly play one type of role. Also, Taraji P. Henson has a broader scope of acting roles as well. But is that really a bad thing? Some roles people are just fit for. I love Vince Vaughn and Sanaa Lathan in Romantic Comedies. You go with what works, and what pays. Some roles just work for you.

4. penlady profile image61
    penladyposted 5 years ago

Yes, actors can become stereotyped very easily. They have admitted this themselves. And when the roles they're stereotyped for are no longer popular roles, their careers tend to die. I think they have to fight hard against being stereotyped.

working