jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How true is it that too many Americans watch too much TV?

1. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

How true is it that too many Americans watch too much TV?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 5 years ago

That's old. It's all about computers now.

3. maryhoneybee profile image62
    maryhoneybeeposted 5 years ago

I heard once the average American child spends about 4 hours a day in front of the TV, and around the same amount in front of the computer. With that schedule, it sounds like all they're doing is going to school and sitting in front of "electronics"! I'll not judge, however, since I'm not much better...

4. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

TV and computer are a problem with many of us. It is our way of relaxing and also communicating. Guess we have to learn to take breaks and use them a little more wisely. The American Pediatrics Association suggests no more than two hours for children of electronics which includes TV, computer, video games, ipod, nintento, Wii, etc.

5. Angela Blair profile image81
    Angela Blairposted 5 years ago

I can't answer for other Americans but I know I was. So -- had the cable cut off and have since accomplished many things that would still be waiting on me if I still had TV. I do find one thing to be very true having recently had a lot of exposure to teen agers -- the internet and TV sums up the whole life experience for some of them -- at least so far. Also, little kids don't play outside anymore -- what's with that? There's so much good material on both tv and internet and I definitely think kids should have those options -- at any age -- but when it becomes a way of life that's too much and I see that happening. Seems all things in moderation would be a good start?

6. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

That's old hat. It's us Brits that took the title a long time ago since we multiplied the number of sports channels! If you had a battery of screens near you, you could watch football, cricket, formula 1, golf, darts, snooker/pool and athletics from the spring onwards into early autumn/fall. The pubs have emptied in the last ten years; about a tenth of them have gone bust over a decade!

7. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Good question that's still relevant in the computer age. I think too many people watch too much TV. For example, I know someone who has at least 1 TV on somewhere in the house 24X7! Personally I probably watch an average of 10 hours of TV a month--at the sports bar, at the car fixit place, at a friend's house... But I rarely turn on the TV myself.

However, I think computer over-usage is also a big problem. I myself am guilty of that--I'm addicted to Hub Pages now. I probably spent 2-3 hours a day on Hub Pages, reading and writing. I've got to find a healthy balance, though Hub Pages is an emotional outlet for me.

working