jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do North Americans cater to kids too much?

1. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Do North Americans cater to kids too much?

Advertising pushes us so strongly to spend money on our kids, do we spend too much money and not enough time on them?

2. profile image0
    SilverGenesposted 6 years ago

Yes! We are reaping the results of that kind of overindulgence and it is not a pretty picture. Seriously, 30-year-old teenagers? Yup. Ethics, morals, and a sense of responsibility come as a result of discipline and structure, not catering to whims. The term "spoiling" children is absolutely true. We fail them when we do this.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think "North Americans" is a very wide demographic.  I doubt all N.Americans raise their children the same way. 

I work in a therapist's office and she sees mostly children and I can tell you that these children are NOT catered to in any sense of the word.  Their fears, concerns, wants and desires are rarely heard and certainly not responded to by their troubled parents.

I believe that parents in general need to give more of their time then they do.  With two parents working full time to survive in this economy, it is sad that our kids have to suffer.

4. JT Walters profile image78
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

If I were Muslin North American I would be offended and marrying ad Evangelical but since I am not, yes.

5. G.L.A. profile image82
    G.L.A.posted 6 years ago

I agree with duffsmom! though todays' kids may have more access to 'things' and technology, they have little to no access to their parents, who are scrambling to hold marriages together, find or hang on to jobs, and keep roofs over their kids heads!!

6. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

They, generally speaking, fulfill their obligation towards their children by showering them with goods but not spending enough time with them. If you ever ask a kid if they want to play with their mom or get a new toy, what will be the answer? Children want parents, not things. But eventually this also probably changes as they grow older and start seeing benefits of owning things.

working