jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Who is the greatest guitarist to ever live?

1. MountainManJake profile image88
    MountainManJakeposted 5 years ago

Who is the greatest guitarist to ever live?

Tell me why.

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I think you will get as many answers as people.  Of course, we have no way of knowing the excellent guitarits who were about before recording technology.  Also, none of us have probably ever heard all guiarists who have been recorded, let alone ones that haven't.  I would go for Andres Segovia, as the best guitarist I have heard, followed by Robert Johnson.

3. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Some say it is Chet Atkins.There are so many greats in guitar. Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Chuck Berry, Van Halen, Jerry Garcia, all have my vote. Hard to tell who was the best.

4. chasmac profile image97
    chasmacposted 5 years ago

It's not really a valid question because guitar playing is an ART, not a competitive sport. How could it be measured? Is Yngwie Malmsteen's incredible speed  better than Dave Gilmour's ability to create tasteful and moving solos? John Williams'  faultless classical guitar technique is second to none, but, by his own admission, his improvisational skills aren't in the same league as those of his late friend, the Jazz virtuoso, Joe Pass.  There's no greatest guitarist - only favourite guitarists.